• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Touchwiz Home has Stopped Working since Lollipop Update - Galaxy S4

Tim102

Mar 17, 2015
Hi

My Galaxy S4 upgraded to Android v5.0.1 (Lollipop) last night. Since the update my Home screens have completely changed and I wanted to get them back in a way I had organised before the update, apps in different folders contained in the main home screen etc. However, when I try to move an app into the folder by doing the long-press on the app icon an error message always comes up 'Touchwiz has stopped working' and I can't move the icon anywhere.

Has this happened to anyone else since their update? I really would like to remove some of the 'clutter' on my home screen because it's so frustrating and organise my apps into folders like I had them before.

Is there any way of fixing this issue without doing a factory reset, and does that even work?

It's a UK model on the O2 network

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tim.

Reactions: DebiHarrower1303
It's so annoying! I'm glad i'm not the only one who is suffering with the problem though. I spoke to Samsung support yesterday and I got the impression the guy I was speaking to didn't really understand my problem. He just suggested doing the factory re-set as well. I've read other forums and people who have done the factory re-set said it's a lot of hassle and hasn't always fixed the problem either.

Reactions: DebiHarrower1303
Upvote 0
In thirst instance, try wiping your cache partition as per #1.3 of S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Failing that, try wiping the apps cache and data as per #1.5. Failing that, you can either do a Factory Data reset as per #2.3 or install, as Funklogik stated, a 3rd party launcher, such as Nova.

Last edited:
Reactions: eirianbryn
Upvote 0
I tried everything up to clearing data because I was trying to save my settings. No luck so I went for clear data. Settings are gone but the thing is still crashing. Later today I'll do a factory reset - it can only be a good thing with an updated OS - and see how it goes. I might try Nova either way. Thank you all. Good luck to Tim.

Upvote 0
Considering the huge differences between KK+LP, it amazes me how the OTA update manages to succeed for most without a factory reset. This is no mean feat.

I would say even for those who don't immediately see problems after a LP OTA update, keep an eye over things as it's quite possible that problems could occur further down the line.

Personally, I would do a factory reset as a matter of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Factory reset done. I allowed Google to restore settings from backup but other than that it's all new. No more crashes, so whatever was wrong is not inherent to Touchwiz but to my previous config and/or updating without resetting.

Hawker old bean, I think we have another convert to the Factory Data Reset. :D

Just be glad that you haven't got a Galaxy S5 and are on Verizon's own version of Lollipop. An FDR would be the least of your problems. A bigger pile of poo I've yet to see. Verizon wouldn't know a firmware if it bit them on the arse. For every minor problem on the 170 worldwide, Samsung, stock Lollipop firmwares, there's 20 posts for the Verizon, non Samsung, firmware. Verizon even invented a unique 2 stage update to increase the system partition to get more bloatware in!!! :eek:

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
Pity the carriers don't use their collective brains, they might get that light flash on & realize that the bloatware causes the majority of problems.

Luckily, for anyone on carrier branded firmware, Verizon and AT&T are unique in that they are the only models that are not released by Samsung but rather, the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware is taken by these carriers and then heavily modified, locked bootloaders and forced updates to name just a couple, as well as loading around 20+ revenue generating apps and then bypassing Samsung and releasing them directly to their customers.

Upvote 0
Factory reset done. I allowed Google to restore settings from backup but other than that it's all new. No more crashes, so whatever was wrong is not inherent to Touchwiz but to my previous config and/or updating without resetting.

Thanks for the update Llima Can you please confirm after doing the factory re-set you are now able to move your chosen app icons onto the main home screen of your phone and create folders etc just like you would have been able to do before the Lollipop update?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, having tried all the above except the installing Nova and factory resetting. I fiddled with the phone and went through it's own settings. After tweaking and resetting all things in "My Device" lo and behold, I now have touchwiz working. Hurrah. Sorry, I cannot tell you exactly which tweak did the trick, but go give it a try, maybe you will be successful in pinpointing the culprit. Power to the people.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem few days ago and believe me I tried everything except factory reset. I almost done it this morning but Amandalannon's post made me curious. So I went to "my device" and opened air view, turned everything off under air view and restarted it. Walaaaa! problem solved, now I can rearrange all my icons again.. I hope it will do the same to all of you having problem with touchwiz.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem few days ago and believe me I tried everything except factory reset. I almost done it this morning but Amandalannon's post made me curious. So I went to "my device" and opened air view, turned everything off under air view and restarted it. Walaaaa! problem solved, now I can rearrange all my icons again.. I hope it will do the same to all of you having problem with touchwiz.
Very glad it helped someone.

Reactions: Micah42 and rg28170
Upvote 0

If I do a factory reset on my Note 3, will I lose my photos and contacts etc? It seems to be the best answer but I'm terrified I'll love everything. What's the best option here? TouchWiz has screwed up my phone all together.

Upvote 0
If I do a factory reset on my Note 3, will I lose my photos and contacts etc? It seems to be the best answer but I'm terrified I'll love everything. What's the best option here? TouchWiz has screwed up my phone all together.
Yes afraid so, but find a site for you computer where you can download everything from your phone. Lots out there. I used Helium which was not easy and would not use them again. So, save media files, documents to computer. You can save your apps or simply reload them, but many, even from playstore, don't restore to where you left them. If you have an external memory such as an so card, you can save many there. Contacts and documents can be saved on cloud. One thing though, make sure you have updated everything first... Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones