• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tough tech question (I think..)

pipskicks

Jan 12, 2010
OK so this was in regards to me talking to my buddy about trying to get Google Goggles to work on my 1.5 Hero since it already works on his 1.6 MyTouch.

I know that the Roms are all different but one thing I just can't get.

What is the technical difference between a 2.1 ROM on a Hero with 1.5, and a 2.1 ROM on a Hero with 2.1?
I know the ROMs now are based on 1.5 themselves so they run well on the Hero, but they are messing with 2.1 ROMs, and I'm not sure what that means when it's "based" (or is it based, I don't get that part) on a 1.5 OS on the Hero.

I apologize for not being able to word this well, hopefully you guys understand it.

The conclusion obviously would also be if someone makes a 1.6 ROM then that should either technically run Google Goggles (just like running apps2sd), or since it's based on our Hero's 1.5, is this not correct?

I will understand this beast one day....

1.5 is the version of android..a 2.1 rom is 2.1 version of android.. google goggles requires at least version 1.6 of android. unless you flash a custom rom that is running 1.6 or higher you can't install it.

or to put it another way.. 1.5 is what we currently have... think of it as Windows NT.. 1.6 is Windows 2000 and 2.0 is Vista and 2.1 is Win 7.... all you need is a 1.6 or higher ROM that is compatible with the CDMA hero

Upvote 0
OK that makes sense. Weird because I have heard people "SAY" that the ROM is just based on that kernel and until Google/Sprint updates you, you just get partial use out of 2.1 (i.e. looks). I guess it is just the drivers and the developers building a copy of 2.1 with the ROM.

Thanks for the clarification!!

Upvote 0
OK that makes sense. Weird because I have heard people "SAY" that the ROM is just based on that kernel and until Google/Sprint updates you, you just get partial use out of 2.1 (i.e. looks). I guess it is just the drivers and the developers building a copy of 2.1 with the ROM.

Thanks for the clarification!!

1.6 and 2.1 ROMs are not fully functional yet but it has nothing to do them based on a different kernel. Until this weekend even the 1.5 ROMs were all based on the stock kernel because HTC hadn't released the source to the 1.5 kernel yet and 1.5 doesn't support CDMA so they had to hack it in. It was released this past weekend and now Modaco's latest has an optimized kernel but it's still 1.5.

The 1.6 and 2.1 kernels don't work completely yet due to driver issues. If we get an update to 2.1 you will see ROMs that work based off of that update but I am willing to wager that there will be a 2.1 ROM, sans SenseUI, before we get our update. Sense is specific to HTC so the 1.6 and 2.1 ROMs most likely won't have it. It's a possibility with 2.1 since they MIGHT get it ripped from the Nexus but that's conjecture. You'll get full use out of whatever the devs have sorted out and hacked driverwise and do without for the rest on ROMs not based on 1.5 right now. But give them time and I'm sure they'll fix it. They haven't had that long to play with 2.1 and it's almost working completely...

As a side not 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 are Android release numbers and don't refer to the kernel which is yet another release number :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones