TowelRoot works on latest OTA VZW 4.4.2 !!!

1. ShanDroyd

ShanDroyd Well-Known Member

towelroot by geohot
    :D:D:D
    install as "one click" and it worked!!!

no Knox tripped, but I do have the unlock icon at power up.

It's all good baby!!! :D:D:D

Advertisement
    :
  2. ShanDroyd

But,
    I can not get Super SU or Super User to update
  3. drtrask

drtrask Active Member

Apparently you can - just do NOT d/l it from the Play Store. Check out XDA for the latest update, revision 4 of the current version and it automatically updates SuperSU.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Here is the link to the latest: SuperSU Download

You can download it via "Unknown Sources" the APK is in the "Common" folder

EDIT: Before anyone uses this I think we should kind of have a test of it, I know that we have people willing to test it out, I just don't know if it's trustworthy at this point.
  5. ShanDroyd

installs, like the one from play store, and still fails when SU attempts to update.

my "root only" apps will work, and SU will ask for permission for such apps.

???

Not sure if there are any real drawbacks?
    I am rooted, and debloated, and that is all I really need.
    I am sure a simple fix is just down the line.
  6. Digital Controller

7. artcwolf

artcwolf Well-Known Member

So i need to donate to get the download?

I clicked the red funky image in the middle took me to a page of machine language and avast went nuts.
  8. Digital Controller

Yeah I know my Chrome questioned the download, but it's legit, and no you shouldn't need to donate in order to download it. :)
  9. artcwolf

I never got the download on firefox. i need to download it from the phone not the pc?
  10. artcwolf

okay so downloaded it onto the phone ran that apk, it rebooted and i'm still not rooted. trying to install SuperSU from play store and it's failing to open. still no root so sayith Root Checker
  11. Digital Controller

Droidviews likes this.
  12. artcwolf

yeah supersu fails, it hits knox asks to avoid it then fails either way i go. I've ran the towelroot.apk a couple of times and i'm failing at supersu - still no root

I'm not to worried about safestrap atm.
  13. Digital Controller

What message do you get when it fails?
  14. artcwolf

Samsung KNOX has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and cause annoying popups. Try to disable KNOX?

I select OK and get
    Failed to disable Knox!

I select cancel and it goes away and closes app
  15. ShanDroyd

the absolute latest Super SU from the play store works perfect, does full install, disables KNOX, and NO KNOX/flash counter tripped!!! :)
  16. artcwolf

that's what i tried as well. Wonder if the Vroot SU that i can't seem to find to uninstall could be causing a problem.
  17. Digital Controller

To get rid of that follow these steps in my rooting guide....

To install SuperSU, just put the file into your device directory from your computer and then your phone will unzip it when you click on it, go into MyFiles and install it, (enable unknown sources), then it will install, and follow the steps until the end.

18. artcwolf

yup that's what i'm doing to install. It's not letting me into SuperSU at all, once knox fails the app closes. I've even turned off the vroot SU app,

it does the installing screen, then the knox detect and poof.
    I''ve uninstalled the chainfire version installed from the zip, installed from the apk, i'm wondering if maybe the towelroot isn't taking.
  19. Digital Controller

Are you actually on 4.4.2? Because if you are still on 4.3 then you can just follow my guide, start to finish, and I know it will work.
  20. artcwolf

was rooted on 4.3 with vroot. OTA went through while i was asleep (yes still have apps frozen and turned off can't get back on) Lost root and on 4.4.2 -
  21. Digital Controller

That's really weird because I never even got prompted for an OTA.

Well then yeah you're only option is to use Towelroot then. Pretty sure VRoot and Kingo don't work on 4.4.2 (yet).

Have you tried installing SuperSU via Safestrap though?
  22. artcwolf

Didn't install safestrap when i rooted with vroot as i only wanted root not a custom rom.

I've ran towelroot a whole lot of times and still not rooted. TB and root checker and romtoolbox are all saying take a long walk.
  23. Digital Controller

Hmm, this is really strange as I have gotten successful remarks from other members...

Are you following a guide exactly as stated?

If so what guide?
  24. artcwolf

the one listed in this thread, downloaded towelroot, installed towelroot, ran towelroot.
    installed SuperSU, downloaded binaries, tries to disable knox and fails. Still no root.
  25. Digital Controller

I have never used Towelroot, does it install the Chinese SU?

Because if so, then you should load Safestrap onto your device after that is on it.