• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] TowelRoot works on latest OTA VZW 4.4.2 !!!

vroot did install the chinese superuser - i'll download safestrap and see if that works when i get home.

Well if it's on your device try installing Safestrap and giving it permissions.

From there flash SuperSU via recovery within Safestrap.

No it does not.

Hmm, that poses and interesting issue then if SuperSU won't execute the command to disable Knox Security then.

Upvote 0
Well if it's on your device try installing Safestrap and giving it permissions.

From there flash SuperSU via recovery within Safestrap..

Wouldn't i need root in order to install safestrap? if i had root wouldn't root checker say i have root?

If root checker says i have root, than all the apps would work and i wouldn't need safestrap or am i just thinking illogically?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't i need root in order to install safestrap? if i had root wouldn't root checker say i have root?

If root checker says i have root, than all the apps would work and i wouldn't need safestrap or am i just thinking illogically?

If you have the Chinese version of SU on your device then you should be able to give permissions to safestrap for root access.

If you do not have that version on your device then the short answer is yes, you won't be able to install the recovery safestrap needs because you won't have root permission.

And if you want to be able to put custom ROMs on your device then you need safestrap.

Upvote 0
I went from a clean 4.4.2 (non rooted) and used towelroot. Installed root checker and got green. SuperSU failed Knox, repeated. Uninstalled SuperSu and reinstalled. Fail knox. Waited an hour, tried again and it worked. Same with SS. Had to do it a few times to get it to take.

Thanks for the reassurance that it does indeed work, it just takes a few times for it to go through :)

Upvote 0
And you're on stock 4.4.2 right?

So we can't try and go back to 4.3

This is really strange, have you looked on XDA just to see if anyone else has this issue?

I was rooted with vroot on 4.3 stock no custom installed roms
OTA to 4.4.2 came while asleep so didn't get the keep root alive option in SuperSU checked.
Stock 4.4.2 unrooted. at this point.

I've googled to an extent last night, but haven't put a lot into it :) the only reason i root really is to backup apps lol. I'll sort it out hopefully this weekend when i have a lot more time.

as for taking a few times to go through i did it at work one day every hour with SuperSU, root checker isn't even giving me the green light after towel root.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Okay because if you look on my guide I link you to the older version which is the one I got to work with my device :)

i've done both the downloaded older version and the newer version in the play store. I don't' think i've ever spent as much time in the app settings uninstalling and closing and clearing cashe as i have the last week or so lol.

I did a please root over the weekend dance last night and i'm planning on doing it again tonight and tomorrow night in prep for the weekend of research and such. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones