Tower Triangulation Issues?Support

Last Updated:

1. Hank

Hank New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a quick question regarding tower triangulation:

Is there any way to turn it off? I somehow have gotten my Droid confused. When I turn on GPS on my phone, all of my apps (Maps, Navigation, Weather, etc.) work fine, and pick up my correct location, but if I turn the GPS off, my phone thinks I'm in the middle of Madrid. Let me assure you that SE North Carolina is nowhere near Spain.

I have several apps that I have recently installed, but I don't recall any correlation between an app install and these location issues.

I ususally only have GPS turned on when I'm looking at Maps or using navigation. I hate to think I'll always have to turn it on just to check my weather map.

Did I do this accidentally? Are there any known app issues that this could be related to?

Thanks!

Hank

Advertisement
  2. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

Hmmm.........I don't know the answer.....but I've had google maps get confused once on my droid with just Tower Triangulation.....but by and large it works fine

I would try a *268 or whatever the number is to configure to nearest tower first (I would think that should solve it) ...followed by a battery pull and capacitor discharge if not...(unlikley that will work...but hey!) If none of those work....then you could try a factory reset or take it back to Verizon if you are still within your warranty period.

I used to have this problem with my old phone (RAZR) on ATT. Somehow the google maps would only read my location right if I was on EDGE....not 3G. Since mine was an unlocked phone, I could manually disable 3G to only stay on edge. I don't know how to use that knowledge in diagnosing your problem though...besides mention it to you.

Oh and btw....Welcome!!!!

3. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

Same thing happens to me....I wish that it would use all the resources to triangulate your location. Like use wifi, cell and gps. Would fix allot of accuracy issues.