Track order in an album

Last Updated:

1. haldroidx

haldroidx Active Member This Topic's Starter

On my PC, the file names of all my ripped tunes start with the track number. Even on my downloaded albums, Windows is able to pull the track number for each MP3 file out of the file. So why does my Droid X (Android 2.1) display and play the tunes in alphabetical order by track title? That really isn't the way any Android user is going to want to listen to, say, the cast recording from Rent.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You need to have the track number correct in the id3 tag. You can use TagScanner on the pc to check that. Once you do that, when you go to the music app and click that artist, you have two choices: all songs and the albums. If you hit All Songs it will randomize them, if you hit the album it will play them back by track order.

3. haldroidx

Is the ID3 tag something different from the track number that's already in the MP3 files, which is how Windows already knows what the number of each of my tracks is? I downloaded TagScanner and it also already knows what the track number of each of my tracks is. So, as I said, unless the ID3 tag is something different from this, it's already correct.

4. haldroidx

Originally the phone filled with all the music that was already lined up in WMP from when I was syncing (or attempting to sync it) to my Treo. After starting this thread, I decided to delete all the music from the Droid X and sync again. Now the tracks are appearing in the correct order.

Is it possible that it has something to do with the mode I had the USB connection set for the previous time I had synced? I've found that syncing actually happens whether you're in Windows Media Sync mode or in at least one of the other available modes--but maybe the difference has to do with whether all the track info gets organized correctly on the phone.

5. haldroidx

It seems to depend on the album. I've got this one album I've removed from the phone, AND I removed it from the list of synced files, AND that I ran through TagScanner and made sure all the tracks are numbered (which they were originally), AND I deleted the album from Windows Media Player, AND I let WMP scan it back in, AND I readded it to the sync folder, AND I resynced--and the songs in the album are still listed in alphabetical order by title BUT if I play the album, they PLAY in the correct order!!!

But then, for another album, the songs are actually listed in track order and not alphabetically by title.

And it has nothing to do with the file name on the computer, because the names of the files for both albums all begin with the track number.

6. sanddeepk

sanddeepk New Member

I've noticed that when you play an album it doesn't have the songs in the right order, is there some way to make it do that?

7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If you read my post I explained it. You need to have the mp3's id3 tags correct, specifically the track tag. If you bought your music from an online store, it should be there. If you ripped the cd yourself, or downloaded the music from somewhere else, it probably doesnt have correct tags. You can use TagScanner to load the album and check to make sure they are correct.

8. Surreyuser

Surreyuser Active Member

But why should I have to dothis - surely albums should play in the correct order rather than alphabetical order? It worked before Froyo. And if it can arrange songs in alphabetical order, why can't it arrange contacts in alphabetical order by surname?

9. sitlet

sitlet Banned

MP3 players dont use the filename to sort tracks. They use id3 tags.