1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

track your car mileage for tax time

Last Updated:

1. Timmaaay4

Timmaaay4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have been looking in the market for an app that i can track my car mileage for work. have been unable to find one. i know that there are other post on this in other parts of this forum but no luck. need to be able to have multiple entries a day, as i make several sales calls a day also be able to input gas fill ups and be able to export this for tax time. is there anything like this out there have tried a few but no dice.

any help would be great.

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

acar ?

[​IMG]

3. zachd

zachd Well-Known Member

I use " My Tracks" for when I go biking and rollerblading.

Records all sorts of great stuff.

4. Pocket Galaxy

Pocket Galaxy Member

5. mbranscum

mbranscum Well-Known Member

Look at Mileage

6. winegoddess

winegoddess New Member

i dont see Chronolog in the market?

7. beckx020

beckx020 Member

[​IMG]
    For Chronolog.

Now where was this a few years ago when I needed it? Looks very nice app.

Pocket Galaxy likes this.
  8. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member

I recently went through an IRS audit for my business and I would caution anyone that is looking at using a mileage tracking program to make sure it meets all the requirements. When recording mileage, you need to keep the following information:

In order to claim the deduction, you must keep accurate records as to how you have used your car. For each trip that you plan to deduct miles from your taxes, you should record the date time, purpose and distance. This will also allow you to easily calculate your deduction at the end of the year.

You also need to keep the starting and ending mileage for the year. I had to dig through records of oil changes and services so the IRS could go through my mileage logs to make sure I was being honest. It wasn't pretty.

9. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

ouch, on the beginning and ending yearly mileage.... But I'll add that to my stuff.

Either way, I don't use an app, I simply build a google spreadsheet on google.docs

Then, I bookmark the site and when I start to leave for my trip, I log on, then enter my starting mileage at the beginning of the trip, and again at the end.

I keep it online for access to whenever, wherever I am. I also track my receipts, and other expenses on the spreadsheet.

I'm all for using apps, but sometimes, the principle of KISS (keep it simple stupid) applies. for example, mortgage calculator apps on Droid do it's job, but why do you need to store one and take up memory when it can be found online? This is simply the same thing... I don't need an app that won't print right when an online version that I can print come tax time, is available.

10. Armond

Armond Well-Known Member

I would recommend you to take a look at aCar application. Starting from version 2.2.0 it can track your business (and non-business) mileages/trips as well as the fillups, services and other expenses of your vehicles...

It's available in Google Marker under Productivity category. More information:
    ZoneWalker.com

11. Pocket Galaxy

Pocket Galaxy Member

Update 1.1.1
    We just released an update for ChronoLog. This version adds the ability to manually start and stop the logging. This manual functionality works on top of the underlying automatic nature of the app.

More about this on our website www.chrono-log.com

There are a couple of other minor features added that were requested by our users. Most notably the option to track kilometers instead of miles.

Thanks for your interest.
    -Eli

12. esocial

esocial Member