Trackball cleaning.Tips

Last Updated:

1. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    Kelmar likes this.
  2. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I actually called HTC and asked them about how to clean the track ball.

They said that they've never gotten such a call, and were a little stumped. After asking around the office, one lady suggested that some Hero users were suggesting to use Magic Eraser. (which didn't work, at all, for me)

I haven't had any success dragging it around a piece of paper or cloth yet, but I haven't tried quite as extremely as this guy. I'm about to do this then report on my results. His trackball CLEARLY gets much lighter when he does this.

3. gotweed

gotweed Well-Known Member

Bleach it

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

THIS METHOD WORKS PERFECTLY!

Anyone whose trackball is/was black/dirty/oily looking like MINE always is (and maybe it sticks or moves in one direction or another), FOLLOW the video at the top!

I repeat

I took a plain white piece of paper, and FURIOUSLY dragged my trackball up and down the page, varying the angle (just like the blackberry), and this worked perfectly.

My trackball is almost WHITE, and I keep thinking my trackball is lighting up for an email or text because it's THAT much brighter.

Give this a shot.

5. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

niiiiiiiice! glad it worked!

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Good find!

7. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I had an isue with my trackball not scrolling to the left. I used a can of compressed air, like the air dusters for computer keyboards, and shot it in the left side of the ball. It's working flawlessly now and everytime it starts to act up I just give it a quick spray.

8. jmastron

jmastron Well-Known Member

Wow! This works great -- my trackball was balky, sometimes moving some ways, sometimes not without pressing hard on it. After running it around on a piece of paper for 30 seconds, it works perfectly in all directions. I wondered how to clean any crud stuck in there; this seemed to do the trick!

9. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

just be careful OVER doing it with this method, my buddy did this, and his trackball was working fine before, but was just dirty, and after doing this really screwed it up by pressing too hard maybe but the trackball was slightly pushed in after this and didn't scroll correctly.... but it was clean!!

10. sdunigan

sdunigan New Member

This actually fixed my HTC Eris on KaosFroyo. I thought I was having ROM issues because it was seriously lagging, but after I cleaned the track ball, poof, no more lag. I guess the track ball was just sticking left and was causing my ROM to lag. Either way it is now resolved...hopefully.

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I am just seeing this old message.

Funny, this running the trackball on clean paper is the *exact* advice that Apple gives to clean a balky scroll trackball on their Mighty Mouse. And, as here, it always works perfectly.

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Plus, whether it worked or not, you got to express your fury. It was win/win.

13. JoshL

JoshL Member

Wow, this just worked great on my Eris. Thanks!

14. Nick021

Nick021 Well-Known Member

My wife tried this on her Eris and now the trackball is pushed in too far. It still works, and it's clean, but it doesn't come out all the way.

15. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

It worked for me. 10 seconds of circles on a clean piece of paper without pressing. My trackball was getting annoying.