1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Trackball hardware problemSupport

1. James Bell

James Bell Well-Known Member

So suddenly my trackball won't roll to the left. Sort of minor because it works in all other directions and the only time I need the trackball is scrolling through text but... So I'll be sending it back for a replacement if I can't fix it. Anyone got any ideas? I tried blasting it with canned air and of course popping the battery out for a full reboot.

Failing that, any advice about sending it in to HTC?

Advertisement
    :
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Also try a factory reset first but it sounds like it may be a hardware fault......

HTC will tell you how to return the phone.
  3. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Well-Known Member

has anyone firgure out how to pop it out and clean it if a person had too? just like on a blackberry?:confused:
  4. leathergoth

leathergoth New Member

Had the same problem on my NOT ROOTED phone, and re installed a new copy of 2.2, this fixed it,
    however I got the red light trackball. sorted that by powering down the phone removing battery and sim, replaced all and no problems now, good luck.
  5. strictly86

strictly86 Well-Known Member

I've had this problem, you have to kind of keep fiddling with the trackball till it works again by pressing it in and rolling it around. Hope that helps
  6. pick up pies

pick up pies New Member

I just had this start happening to me yesterday. From all of the talk about the drifting tracking ball issues talked about here, I thought it'd be a quick and easy call, but I was on the phone with Verizon for about a half hour explaining the symptoms. Apparently it's not listed as a known issue in the HTC database, so they'll still have you do a factory reset and all of that fun stuff.

Eventually I got a replacement sent my way, but I still had to go through all of the standard tech support "you must have downloaded something that's doing this" stuff.
  7. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

I'm confused...why were you on the phone with Verizon regarding a trackball issue? I'm not aware of any android phones that can be used on verizon which have a trackball.
  8. Viralmind

Viralmind Well-Known Member

he means his nexus.
  9. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Exactly as I said...you can't use the Nexus on Verizon, hence the reason I asked why he would call Verizon regarding a Nexus problem.
  10. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Oh ...that is true...I didn't catch that at all...yeah...he can't use the N1 (GSM phone) on Verizon (CDMA network)
  11. James Bell

James Bell Well-Known Member

FYI I solved this problem myself before I sent it back to HTC. I blasted the heck out of the trackball with compressed air while pushing the ball in and rolling it around. It seemed to do the trick and it's stayed good for a couple of weeks now.
  12. angriest

angriest New Member

Hi, I've had the same problem - fixed by method described by previous commenter - phone on front, rolling on piece of clean paper. Worked fine. Just to note that I found that it worked best if you ensure that the trackball is clicked on as you roll it around - ie apply a little bit of pressure.
  13. leathergoth

leathergoth New Member

Thanks, the paper trick worked a treat
  14. ericjwill

ericjwill Well-Known Member