Tracking Down Cause of Lag

Last Updated:

1. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ever since I can remember, I had severe lag when rotating my home screen under 2.1 (usign both the stock launcher and LauncherPro). Basically, we I would rotate from vertical to horizontal or horizontal to vertical, the shortcut icons would display almost instantly, but the widgets could take up to 5 seconds to show up, during which time, the phone was unusable. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling apps, redistributing widgets, etc. and after not getting anywhere, gave up. Two days ago I went to the 2.2 update, and before hand did a complete reset/wipe on the phone. Since then I have reinstalled my apps and manually reconfigured all my settings. Guess what, I still have lag!!! I read threads all over the place where someone discovers XXX application was causing their phone to lag (K9 mail, Swype, and plenty of others have all been blamed), but without manually going through every possible combination of apps, how can I narrow it down? If this was happening on my computer, I would look at the task manager for something using a lot of RAM or showing CPU spikes, is there an equivalent I can do on android?

Advertisement
  2. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

It's swype, seriously. Uninstall>reboot and test it out, you'll be surprised

3. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I have had swipe installed since it was released for beta. I have little to no lag on my phone. I am using the official Swipe Beta obtained from the Swipe Beta Program on their website.

Kratos

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Swype does cause some slowdown - just like any other memory intensive app will.

5. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

And see, this is the problem. I have no doubt that Swype was a problem for you Crude, nor do I doubt it works fine for Kratos. The same seems to be true for almost all apps. So again, without manually trying all possible combinations of apps, it's hard to track down what is causing the issue. So is there any sort of program that can say, log and graph the memory/cpu usage of all apps? Then I could start the logging, demonstrate the lag, then look at the logs to see what was using up CPU and/or memory...

6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I agree with you on this. I have noticed that some apps act differently on different phones (not just different types of phones, but different physical phone of the same type; example: two different Droids).

I can only assume that this is due to an app that isn't playing well with another app.

Kratos