Tracking Droid Software and Hardware Problems

Last Updated:

1. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

There has been a lot of posts about problems with the first batch of Droids with a lot of them being returned.

Is there a serial number series that identifies these early phones?

Or maybe some other manufacturing code?

I'll be getting mine soon and it would be nice to be able to avoid getting a Lemon.

2. dbarrett480

dbarrett480 Well-Known Member

Not sure, all I know is that I just got back from exchanging mine for a new one and there is a night and day difference from the old to the new.
  3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

+1. I'd like to know whether or not my phone could be a lemon that's just not showing any problems AT THE MOMENT.
  4. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

5. lobe50

lobe50 Well-Known Member

What are the problems to look for???
  6. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Well-Known Member

7. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I had a problem with the L key on the physical keyboard so I returned it. As it turns out, the screen responsiveness on the 2nd phone was SO much better than the 1st. Had I not had the keyboard problem I might not have realized how much I was missing.

Love the phone - love it. Hope the camera autofocus issue fixes the terrible picture quality.
  8. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

Hmm.... I think my purchase date is getting pushed out some.
  9. Da_Coynul

Da_Coynul Active Member

Mine works great and I'm sure most of them are actually without problems. People are more likely to post when they have a problem so you are going to see a lot of that whenever a new phone comes out :)
  10. bwsmith

bwsmith Well-Known Member

Mine has HORRIBLE screen keyboard lag when posting on forums and of course the focus on the camera sucks. I may go to the store and exchange it just to be on the safe side.
  11. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Never know what you might end up with....
  12. CookieMomster

CookieMomster Well-Known Member

And if you have kids, a job, or like taking a shower you may need to push it out even further.
  13. OldNose

OldNose Member

14. GrOoVyBeCcA

GrOoVyBeCcA Member

15. bwsmith

I am going to check the build date on the new one make sure it is 42/09 or better.
  16. OldNose

OldNose Member

Yes, you can expect several updates to the software. There's an option in the settings to check for updates.
  17. GrOoVyBeCcA

GrOoVyBeCcA Member

Thanks for answering my question OldNose. I haven't gotten the phone yet, I'm actually planning on getting it this weekend. Just wanted to know if I should wait until the updates are done before getting it. BUt since they're done automatically I can get my phone this weekend and be able to upgrade it when it's available!
  18. bwsmith

Traded in my Droid today for a different one and so far so good. HUGE difference on the physical keyboard and no email lockups yet. The rep even went through all the boxes and found me one with 41/09.
  19. Phoenixdroid

Phoenixdroid Well-Known Member

yeah, mine works great so far except for on message being stuck in the notifications, see the thread i started. Any way as far as build number mine is a esd20, and the only indication on the box to a date is 10/24/09.
  20. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

not looking for the build number, but the manufacturing code, which corresponds to the week of the year and the year. If you read the thread at Howard Forums, you'll see.

The OP wrote a black sticker, but the one I have has white stickers with black lettering. My week of manufacture is 42, of course the year is 09, so I have a 4209 code on the sticker.
  21. FireChief

FireChief Well-Known Member

I guess I'll have to try to exchange mine.. have had it for about 4 days and it has frozen or re-started at least several times a day.. some lag issues also..

Darn... I was just getting it all set up too..
  22. Phoenixdroid

Phoenixdroid Well-Known Member

Mine is a 40/09 per inside the battery compartment..............
  23. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Mine is 40/09 without any problems so far.
  24. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Same here. I havent had any problems so far. Other than infatuation...
  25. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

mine is a 42/09 and i have no problems,