• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Traditional family dinner

Wilkas

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2012
Jarrow, Great Britain
Noticed quite a few nationalities on this forum so wondering what other people have as their traditional family dinner.

In the UK we tend to have a roast on Sunday (beef, chicken, lamb or pork) with roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, seasonal veg and gravy... I love a Sunday roast but with the weather getting a bit warmer/humid I'm finding I can't be arsed to make them so fancied some ideas on trying something different.

Interested in what everyone has but especially Italians and the French.. can't imagine them eating a stodgy roast :D

Well this is a tradition:
lechon_asado.jpg

Also, Dumplings with Saltfish, I Think its like that(Pana with Bacalao)

Upvote 0
Can you describe the items in that bowl? I see a plantain (platano), rice, but what is the dark stuff on top, etc?

That's rice with greenbeans (gandules), morcilla(small black pieces), pasteles(rectangle thing, they can/are filled with any meat and some spices, condiments or something like that) plantains, (to the other guy it is) pork, and some potato salad(eggs, onions... Not shown in the pic)

I'm doing this post on mobile so I can't see what more it has. But you can google: Arroz con gandules y pasteles.

I think you'll find some more if you type some of the stated above.

Reactions: Sharondippity
Upvote 0
Ok for a real answer, being from the south, fried chicken (or country fried steak, or fried pork chops, ok SOMETHING fried), with greens (mustard, collard, or my favorite, turnip), butter beans (similar to lima beans), rice with brown gravy, and cornbread.

Watched a Jamie Oliver documentary about soul food from the south, think I could live there easily I love all that stuff!

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Ham gota through a ham in there. Ham, Rice and Lima's are one of my favorite meals. I also love seafood of just about any kind (may be most awesome but not going to do the blowfish thingy;)) I love shrimp (boiled, blackend, grilled)

For your roast get some bacon and put around the roast and cook it. Let the bacon give it that awesome flavor.

Also you can cook the roast then thin slice it and refrigerate it serve it over a salad. Nice light flavors for the summer heat.

Even though a lot of family's especially in America where I am no longer eat as a family we do every day. Its how I was brought up and I strongly feel that Having dinner together strengthens a family. It also allows us to get to know each other.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones