• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transfer apps to new phone?

nathanb

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I have a new phone on Gingerbread, and I want to transfer all the apps from my old Froyo phone.

This thread suggests that the AppBrain app will do this, though it's a little awkward. But that thread is over a year old. Is there a better way now (I sort of thought it would all just work through the Google hive mind).

I can see all my apps when I go to market.android.com on my computer, and I'm definitely using the same Google account for both. I can manually go through and for each one tell it to install on the new phone, but that's kind of sketchtown.

Also, I put the SD card from the old phone into the new one. Will it carry my settings over when the apps install?

I just did this with Appbrain. Once you log in with the new device, it'll show up there. Then you just click on all the apps you want and put them in that folder. Then they all install (except for the ones that don't work with that device :(). I'd rather do it a bit more manually (which this is at first), since I didn't want all, and my new SGP5 is not rooted (yet).

Like... GO Launcher, Market says it's not supported, so won't update through Market. But .apk installs fine manually with no bugs. I guess the device is too new...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones