• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

transfer apps to new phone

boostm3

Apr 11, 2011
The app backup/restore software apps Ive seen backup to and restore from sd card.

What have you guys found to be the most effective way to transfer our apps from our old phones to our Nexus 4? Anything more efficient than installing 1 at a time from 'my android apps' at Google play?

I tend to always install fresh, especially when the new device is running a new version of Android. I've found Appbrain.com to be really helpful in putting large groups of apps on a new device. If i set it up on the old phone and sync it, i can then push the same group of apps to the new device in one shot.

Thanks for that info. I'll have to remember that app when it comes time to get a new phone.

Upvote 0
I tend to always install fresh, especially when the new device is running a new version of Android. I've found Appbrain.com to be really helpful in putting large groups of apps on a new device. If i set it up on the old phone and sync it, i can then push the same group of apps to the new device in one shot.

So, considering Id be going from my Samsung Epic 4g (samsung galaxy s1) to my Nexus 4, a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.2, would you suggest using Google Play - MyAndroidApps and install one at a time, fresh, or, gang install them using Appbrain?

Upvote 0
So, considering Id be going from my Samsung Epic 4g (samsung galaxy s1) to my Nexus 4, a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.2, would you suggest using Google Play - MyAndroidApps and install one at a time, fresh, or, gang install them using Appbrain?

You can still use appbrain and if there are any that aren't compatible it will just reject them.

Upvote 0

I was on their site, looking for a way to do this, but then ran across this:

"If you then sync your new phone again, all your old apps should show up as "to be installed". You can then easily go through the market and install them all. (Note that the Google market doesn't allow us to do batch installs)."

If this is the case, why is this any different than using MyAndroidApps at google play and installing from there, 1 at a time?

Upvote 0
In theory the Play Store should restore all of your apps when you login for the first time on a new device.

If it does not work then log into the Play Store in your web browser and push them that way. You will of course lose any saved game info (if you game on your device).

I would not recommend using TIBU and copying from one device to another as you will likely have data corruption (or the chance of it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones