• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help transfer content to nexus 7???

maxthebrax

Jul 8, 2012
I currently have a kindle fire, but i am going to buy a nexus 7. Can i transfer all of my content that i have purchased on the KF to the nexus 7? Both are android so they should support apk files. And if this is possible, how do i do it??? I also read in the description for the nexus 7 that i can transfer itunes music to the 7, how do i do this? Thanks!

I currently have a kindle fire, but i am going to buy a nexus 7. Can i transfer all of my content that i have purchased on the KF to the nexus 7? Both are android so they should support apk files. And if this is possible, how do i do it??? I also read in the description for the nexus 7 that i can transfer itunes music to the 7, how do i do this? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums maxthebrax. :ciao:

Any apps you downloaded from the play store should also be available for your Nexus 7. (If they are compatible with Jelly Bean). Just login with your N7 and install again. I don't have a kindle fire but I would assume it would be the same way. Just login to the Amazon app store from your N7.

The iTunes, I don't know. I'm sure someone here can answer that. :)

Reactions: maxthebrax
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums maxthebrax. :ciao:

Any apps you downloaded from the play store should also be available for your Nexus 7. (If they are compatible with Jelly Bean). Just login with your N7 and install again. I don't have a kindle fire but I would assume it would be the same way. Just login to the Amazon app store from your N7.

The iTunes, I don't know. I'm sure someone here can answer that. :)

Atmazz is exactly right, as for transferring your iTunes content, there is apparently a way to do that (not sure if it will work on the Nexus 7, but I assume so, if not, I am sure there is another easy way somewhere):
How To transfer iPhone and iTunes media to Samsung Galaxy Phones - YouTube

Though the easiest method is to simply plug your Nexus 7 into your computer, create a music folder, and copy-paste all your mp3 or audio files into there.

Upvote 0
Atmazzz: Would that still work even though the fire does not suppprt the google play store, but the amazon appstore?

I would think so. You would just download the Amazon app store app to your N7. Sign in with your Amazon login and download your apps again. If you have Kindle mobi books, just get the Kindle app from the Google Play Store.

Upvote 0
What exactly are you trying to transfer to the Nexus? Here is why I'm asking.... Music can be accessed from Amazon Via the Amazon MP3 Player. Reversely you can download your Amazon content and Upload it to Google Music....

Google had a plugin for iTunes that would data mine the folders and upload it to google music/play.

I guess I'm wondering if you are trying to MOVE content to Google Play/Music or just ACCESS it from the Nexus? Its not one and the same thing... I use amazon for all of my music and use the amazon cloud player app to access my Amazon library (Works on all of my android and apple devices). When I moved from iTunes I used an amazon up loader program that grabbed all of my library and MOVED it. I no longer use itunes, sync with, or buy media from them...

Videos... well you are kinda screwed there, you have figure out a way to record them I guess? I don't do much with video media someone else might have a better answer.

Apps - Install files might work but for the most part just load the Amazon App store and install them to the device... No need to "Move" them to Google play as far as Im concerned. It might be a bit messy when you start off but from that point on just pick one place to get your media and you should be fine?

Upvote 0
TauxiC, it looks like that app only works on samsung devices - it's incompatible with my phone.

Tauxi C: im not sure you're last method would work since the itunes files are not in apk format, is there a way to make them apk

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Would you mind clarrifying please?

You can just plug in your N7 via USB and drag and drop your media files (.mp3, unprotected .aac, etc) on to the tablet. That would work; nothing needs to be converted.

Then there are solutions such as TauxiC's, where you install a specific app onto your tablet and another onto your PC. When you plug in, the two programs will work together to copy your library from iTunes to the tablet. Still, nothing is converted in this case.

I do the latter, using 'iSyncr', as it keeps your playcounts and playlists in iTunes up to date.

Upvote 0
What exactly are you trying to transfer to the Nexus? Here is why I'm asking.... Music can be accessed from Amazon Via the Amazon MP3 Player. Reversely you can download your Amazon content and Upload it to Google Music....

Google had a plugin for iTunes that would data mine the folders and upload it to google music/play.

I guess I'm wondering if you are trying to MOVE content to Google Play/Music or just ACCESS it from the Nexus? Its not one and the same thing... I use amazon for all of my music and use the amazon cloud player app to access my Amazon library (Works on all of my android and apple devices). When I moved from iTunes I used an amazon up loader program that grabbed all of my library and MOVED it. I no longer use itunes, sync with, or buy media from them...

Videos... well you are kinda screwed there, you have figure out a way to record them I guess? I don't do much with video media someone else might have a better answer.

Don't forget any type of file, including video, can just be moved onto the N7 by mounting it onto the PC and draging and dropping the files. You don't need to upload them to cloud services such as google or amazon.

Upvote 0
Would i need a file explorer to do that? Can i use dropbox or any other cloud service?

Yeah, you can use dropbox, google drive, minus, box.net and so on - most cloud services have android apps now.

If you're transfering them directly from your PC, you plug it in via USB and apparently it shows up on your PC like any other form of removable storage like an sdcard, external hard drive and so on.

It is recommended to have a file explorer installed (Astro is a good one), but you wouldn't need to do that to transfer stuff to/from the PC.

You can also get apps that will allow you to connect to your PC via your WiFi network and transfer files that way, although I don't have any experience of those.

Upvote 0
It is recommended to have a file explorer installed (Astro is a good one), but you wouldn't need to do that to transfer stuff to/from the PC.

You can also get apps that will allow you to connect to your PC via your WiFi network and transfer files that way

Here's one someone posted in here somewhere. File Expert is a file manager plus gives you the ability to transfer files over WiFi. I don't think you need to be rooted to use it but from what I read you need the paid version to use root functions.

ES File Explorer I have used and like a lot. Its also supposed to have wifi capabilities but I've never tried it. And its totally free. I'm just not sure if either of these work with Jelly Bean yet.

Reactions: maxthebrax and Xyro
Upvote 0
I also read in the description for the nexus 7 that i can transfer itunes music to the 7, how do i do this? Thanks!

Maybe this will help.

Discover Nexus Devices

Easy import from iTunes

With the Music Manager, you can easily import your entire iTunes music library* into Google Play. Once your music is imported it automatically becomes available on Nexus 7. You'll also be able to enjoy your music on the web at play.google.com and any other Android compatible phone or tablet. You'll never need to sync or worry about backups again.

Upvote 0
I know that to access the books that i have purchased, i can just go to the kindle app on the device, but is there a way to download them directly to the N7 and be available with any books that i purchase on the play store

There is a google play books app which is, presumably, already on the device. If not, it's on the market. That functions the same as amazon's kindle app; it shows you your library and lets you read/purchase books.

The only difference is you have to hit menu whilst reading and choose 'Keep on device' to make it available offline, otherwise it will only be available with an internet connection. I recommend that you do that to every book, since the files sizes are so small it's silly not to store them locally. The amazon app, on the otherhand, will download any book you open automatically rather than stream it to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones