• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer data from old to new

So I just ordered a new memory card for my soon to be new phone. What's the best way to get data off my old card onto my new phone.

If you have a computer you can use the computer to make a folder for your old phone's data and then transfer it to the new phone.

Or, what I'll be doing since my computer is down, put the old card if there is one into the new phone and transfer from SD card to phone. Then remove old card and put new card in and transfer data from phone to new card, but you probably know that.

Upvote 0
Sadly, Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD slot. Here's MY plan (subject to vast improvement, of course):

Copy all pictures, videos and the ENTIRE Android/Data folder to the PC.
Format the new SD card IN the Note 3.
Copy all pictures, video and the ENTIRE Android/Data folder to the Note 3.
100% foolproof? Not a clue: never tried it.

Now if the Note 3 gets rooted quickly (and I sure hope it does), then I'll simply make a backup of apps & data in Titanium Backup on the Nexus, transfer that backup to the PC (or to the cloud), and then to the Note 3, then restore it.

If anyone else can think of a better way of getting app data to the new phone, I am open to suggestion here big time :)

Reactions: jonny772
Upvote 0
Sadly, Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD slot. Here's MY plan (subject to vast improvement, of course):

Copy all pictures, videos and the ENTIRE Android/Data folder to the PC.
Format the new SD card IN the Note 3.
Copy all pictures, video and the ENTIRE Android/Data folder to the Note 3.
100% foolproof? Not a clue: never tried it.

Now if the Note 3 gets rooted quickly (and I sure hope it does), then I'll simply make a backup of apps & data in Titanium Backup on the Nexus, transfer that backup to the PC (or to the cloud), and then to the Note 3, then restore it.

If anyone else can think of a better way of getting app data to the new phone, I am open to suggestion here big time :)

That's basically what I said except for formatting the card in the phone (I've never bothered) and using the cloud.

Upvote 0
I've been using TB on my Droid Bionic. And I've had a factory reset or two in there, and had the need to restore from the SD card. I believe that I setup it up to use a dropbox also.

What I'm wondering is what happens when the N3 comes in. I know you should not restore ..everything.. since some is moto related, and system settings for a different version of android. If I make the assumption that that apps I want are compatible on the N3.

I would do what. Selectively restore the apps + data I want? or it is better to reinstall the app from Play, and then just restore the data for the app.

I've never used TB or TWRP to make a backup image of a device, but I was thinking once the N3 is rooted and unlocked, I would like to make a backup image of the whole device. Sorta the stock rom + my preferred apps+data before I start install/remove/install/remove all the new apps I will try. was never clear really how to do a full backup from twrp or how to save it on the PC or to restore it later if needed.

Best methods or tips on how to do some of this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones