• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer Data

What is the easiest or best way to get all my info from my current Droid X to a replacement coming tomorrow? Phone got rained on Friday night. Went to Verizon yesterday and it didn't show wet so they agreed to replace it under warranty even though I told them I got it wet. Wouldn't turn on yesterday but after drying overnight it came on this morning. I thought all was good until I tried the volume buttons and they aren't functioning so I will need the replacement phone. How do I get all of my settings, apps, downloads, angry birds score, etc... backed up and restored on the new phone? Sure don't want to go thru all of the install and set up a 3rd time in less than a month.

You'll probably get just the phone and have to use your existing battery, cover, cables and sd card.

Install appbrain on your old phone and log into appbrain.com. Open appbrain app on your phone and enter your email address and sync it. All your apps will be on appbrain so you can reinstall them.

There might be a way to backup all your apps and data by being rooted and restore it to your new phone, but I haven't done that and don't feel comfortable suggesting you do it. Common backup apps would be Titanium backup and MyBackup Pro. I'll let others comment on that.

If you're able to restore apps and date via a backup, great, o/w AppBrain will be your backup plan. Also many programs like LauncherPro and FolderOrganizer allow you to export your settings to your sd card and you can import them after a reinstall, should it come to that. I also like to get screen shots of all my screens to help reinstalling, should the backup program fail.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I use titanium backup to backup all the data that my apps use (high scores and settings) it is very easy to use and it saves it all to your SD card. I don't use appbrain to back up my apps cause TIBU will do that as well. You can also make a nandroid backup using ROM Manager and this will basically take a snapshot of your phone so you can one-click restore it on your new one. Combining a nandroid with TIBU is IMO the best way to go. but all of this requires root.

Upvote 0
I use titanium backup to backup all the data that my apps use (high scores and settings) it is very easy to use and it saves it all to your SD card. I don't use appbrain to back up my apps cause TIBU will do that as well. You can also make a nandroid backup using ROM Manager and this will basically take a snapshot of your phone so you can one-click restore it on your new one. Combining a nandroid with TIBU is IMO the best way to go. but all of this requires root.

I am not rooted so I can't do any of this? Any options for a non rooted phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones