Transfer everything from one desire to another.Support

Last Updated:

1. Glen

Glen New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have a damaged HTC Desire (but still working) and a new HTC Desire (gotta love it when your phone with a little liquid in the screen is "beyond economical repair".

So I want to give the damaged one to the misses and I want to transfer everything from it to the new one. And then wipe the old one. The old one is 2.2 I don't know what the new one is, probably the one the stock version. Both are Vodafone.

Regards,

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. What condition is your old phone in, can you still use that liquid-damaged display?

I would recommend two things:

1: Application and partial settings backup

1. You could use Titanium Backup to back up all your apps and their data, then move the sdcard to the new phone (or just copy the entire contents of the sdcard, which is essentially the same thing).
    2. Then, on the new phone, you restore everything from Titanium Backup.
    Caveats:

• I'm not sure that Titanium is able to capture and restore every bit of OS setup; you may have to reconfigure wallpapers, widgets, etc.
    • Titanium backup is free, but you'll have to enter 4-5 taps per app while restoring a backup unless you donate and get the one-click version that does it nigh-on instantly (IMHO, totally worth a tiny donation).

2: Complete partition backup

1. You could use Nandroid to do a complete backup of the phone, its firmware, settings, apps, and files.
    2. Move the sdcard or copy just the nandroid folder, and do a Nandroid restore -- using this method, you will have an *exact* duplicate of the old phone.
    Caveats:

• Nandroid is a firmware tool, started from the recovery boot. That is to say, in order to use Nandroid, you'll have to flash a recovery ROM. This is arguably not for the faint of heart -- but really, really advisable because a Nandroid backup allows you to recover from any sort of failure including trying to flash a corrupted firmware.

Pick your poison. Personally, I'm using Titanium on a nightly basis; I only update my Nandroid backup prior to Dangerous Tinkering

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

another option is mybackup pro, its paid for but will back up settings as well as data and apps to either your sdcard or the net.

install it on the new phone and restore the backup onto it.

4. sam81

sam81 Active Member

Hi,

I've had the HTC Desire since April 2010 and love it - but recently it's been a bit haywire, which has been frustrating as I need it for business, but T-Mobile have sent me a replacement HTC Desire S which is great as I thought I'd just have to send it back for repair - the new one arrived today.

Do I need to do anything like back things up before I send the old one back? How do I get contacts etc from my old phone onto the new one?

Not very technical so as simple as possible.....please!! :)

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

See my first post above ... you can, but don't have to, backup your apps and settings and transfer them (via your SD card). Your contacts are stored with your Google account and will be automatically transferred, same for your emails -- but not your text messages, those you need to backup and restore manually (with any of a thousand sms backup apps).

6. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Depends whether you chose to make your contacts Google contacts - that's the default, but not everyone does it.

If not, you can just export your phonebook from the contacts app to SD, then swap the card between phones and import.