• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer files from PC to Nexus- Doesn't work

Hi there. I'm having the same problem. When I connect my SGN to my Windows 7 computer, it recognizes the device and installs the drivers. However, whenever I try to transfer files from the computer to the phone, Windows Explorer stops working and crashes. This even happens when I tried to copy a file from one directory to another on my SGN. HELP! :eek:

Upvote 0
Hi there. I'm having the same problem. When I connect my SGN to my Windows 7 computer, it recognizes the device and installs the drivers. However, whenever I try to transfer files from the computer to the phone, Windows Explorer stops working and crashes. This even happens when I tried to copy a file from one directory to another on my SGN. HELP! :eek:

That's weird, I just transferred a couple hundred pictures all at once and they went through. Maybe try a different USB port or cable.

Upvote 0
Try Droid Explorer (it uses your existing adb installation). It works great for me, is much faster than bluetooth, and I didn't like airdroid as I don't have a wifi network, plus the free version doesn't allow uploads to phone. I'm on WinXP and can't get MTP to work. Although PTP seems to work. With PTP on my Ubuntu side I get full access to the GNex sdcard. And of course using adb with command line works.

Upvote 0
I can't transfer pictures from my computer to my nexus but I can copy from my nexus to PC.

This is ridiculous and it almost makes me regret not getting a phone with a sd card.

Has anyone else had this trouble and if so have you fixed it?

i had the trouble... but it is do-able.. the best way i found to do it is NOT connect to your computer. Windows 7 i have found can be goof at times. there is a program called Dropbox where you install it on your PC and get teh app on your phone. What it does is create a folder on your pc that you just drop files into and it will automatically store them online. Then you go on your phone, open your Dropbox app and just download them right to your gallery. It also works on multiple PC's so you can have 3 pc's lets say with your dropbox account and all 3 can access the files and add files. you can add files also from your phone. its free and gives 2gig. you can pay for more but there are a lot of people on this site and that i know irl that use this. Hope this helps.. this is one of the MUST have apps in my opinion..

but they are right Picasa does work in tandom with Google+ which is apparently where your photos get sync'd to automatically. But another nice thing about Dropbox is it can be used for everything, not just pictures

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This seems to be all over the place. I documented this as the #1 problem in the Known Issues sticky.

Some files transferred fine (my Titanium Backup, for instance), but when I tried photos or movies, they would all time out. I searched for some explanation, and I found that it possibly had to do with permissions, so I was able to get a tiny bit of success by creating new folders. However, I'd still have random file transfer hangs. Acted like the device wasn't connected anymore.

My final solution was to use the cable that came with the Gnex. After that, everything has worked flawlessly. I had been using another USB-microUSB cable that I used with many other devices with no ill results. But for whatever reason, the cable that comes with the GNex is the only one that I can use reliably.

Yes, I know USB is supposed to be a standard, but perhaps there are crosstalk, emi, or other uber obscure issues (contact plating causing increased capacitance) that is causing the trouble.

But I can say for certainty that I can 100% replicate the issue between the old cable and then new one. Same computer with same USB port, different computers, etc. All with the same result.

Upvote 0
The only way I got it to work on my Windows 7 PC was to NOT open the folders I was trying to copy files to... I used the explorer on the left side of my Windows Explorer and hovered over the folder I wanted to copy it to, and it worked fie. Nothing else worked. It seems to be a problem with Windows 7 64-bit for some reason. Tried different computers, different cables, the cable that came with the phone, etc., and nothing worked except the method described above.

Reactions: trellis27
Upvote 0
When you connect, you get the notification for "connected as media device". Tap that and it brings up an option to connect as a camera. Not sure if that will help or not, but, seems like the problems are with photos and I remembered seeing that earlier...

That worked man! thanks....clicking camera, then back to media caused the proper drivers to automatically install

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones