• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer Files (Pics, Music and Such) Between Your PC and Android Device...

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
Okay everyone, so I was using a program called Snappea (can be found in the Google Play Store) to allow my PC and Android device to communicate. Snappea functions sort of like ITunes in that it has selections for various things like Contacts, Apps, Music, Photos, Videos and it also backed up your device to a file on your PC.

Well I recently got a brand spanking new laptop, an Acer Inspire running Windows 8.1 (an upgrade from my old laptop which ran Vista...). All was well until I installed Snappea on it and suddenly PUPs started showing up on my Android device. The PUP's included such things as Daily Racer, Memory Booster, Clean Doctor and Clean Booster. I removed them, then after plugging into Snappea again they showed up again. I removed them again, played a hunch by plugging into Snappea again and sure enough they showed up moments later.

Now this is on the latest version of Snappea which I downloaded off the net for my new laptop. I think on my old machine running Vista I've perhaps got an older version I might try. But in lieu of using Snappea all together as I now feel somewhat uneasy with this program, I'm curious what other file management programs are out there to allow PC's and Android devices to communicate with one another? I know you can simply install your device on your PC as another drive and move files between folders but what else does everyone use?

I've heard things about something called Airdroid and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it?

KB

You can always just plug your phone into a PC and copy the pictures and music over without need for any program. The phone will appear as a flash drive anyway. Mostly technology is moving away from PC Suites altogether and just look into direct communication between devices via cloud. Dropbox for example automatically backs up photos to your PC as soon as you take them, even when you're miles away from your computer. Windows Media player can sync your music playlists and videos to your phone. No need for an additional program.

At any rate, Airdroid is very good. Tried it before I went into all this automated backup and sync stuff.

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
I just had a look at SnapPea as I'm interested in wireless transfer programs between phone and computer. One it wants me to sign in with my Google account, I'm not doing that as I don't trust this app, and the second option is to download a Windows program, I'm using a Mac. The new copy of SnapPea, you said you downloaded it "off the net", and not a reputable source like Google Play? Well anything can happen there, it may well have an undesirable ad payload causing the PUPs. If so, best to remove it immediately.

I know Airdroid however, does what it says on the lid, allows you to get your contacts, music, photos, videos, documents to and fro from phone to computer. Using just the app on the phone and any browser on the computer, PC or Mac. :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Good point.

With Helium you have to install a part onto the computer and for good reason. It contains no malware.

But file transfer?

You use your computer file explorer or web browser. Simple, effective, easy.

Another option is Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Auto sync from your phone to cloud and from cloud to pc. Set it up once and forget about it.

Take pictures, come home, connect to wifi, wait a bit doing other things, repeat as often as you like - when you're ready, sit down at your pc - your files are already there.

Upvote 0
I just had a look at SnapPea as I'm interested in wireless transfer programs between phone and computer. One it wants me to sign in with my Google account, I'm not doing that as I don't trust this app, and the second option is to download a Windows program, I'm using a Mac. The new copy of SnapPea, you said you downloaded it "off the net", and not a reputable source like Google Play? Well anything can happen there, it may well have an undesirable ad payload causing the PUPs. If so, best to remove it immediately.

I know Airdroid however, does what it says on the lid, allows you to get your contacts, music, photos, videos, documents to and fro from phone to computer. Using just the app on the phone and any browser on the computer, PC or Mac. :thumbsupdroid:

Well when I say I downloaded it off the "net" I meant that I had gone to the site that Snappea at the Google Play Store had directed me to. Sorry if I failed to explain myself...

Upvote 0
You can always just plug your phone into a PC and copy the pictures and music over without need for any program. The phone will appear as a flash drive anyway. Mostly technology is moving away from PC Suites altogether and just look into direct communication between devices via cloud. Dropbox for example automatically backs up photos to your PC as soon as you take them, even when you're miles away from your computer. Windows Media player can sync your music playlists and videos to your phone. No need for an additional program.

At any rate, Airdroid is very good. Tried it before I went into all this automated backup and sync stuff.

I've never used Windows Media Player before for anything. Got an IPod Touch as a gift a long time ago and just went ITunes, so all my music is in that and when I went Android (my IPod Touch seems quaint now by comparison) I was able to find a program that allowed me to pull music directly out of ITunes and move it to my Android.

I can plug my Android into my PC and use it just as another drive, I was curious however if there were any other options. I downloaded Airdroid and am planning on trying it out over the weekend. But I'm unfamiliar with WMP, heard it wasn't even included in Windows 8 as MS is moving away from it??? But also am not familiar with Dropbox so any help would be appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with the music program that comes preinstalled on Windows 8, the pair of headphones that is one of the tiles on the Start screen maybe?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones