• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfering files from PC to Desire

MCS81

Aug 17, 2010
I've just synced my Desire with my PC and tried putting some pictures and some music on to the SD card.
Only 5 out of 18 pictures transferred and only 5 of the albums from 14 I selected. Also one of the albums seems to have been split into 4 'albums' with 3 of them containing only 1 track.
Any ideas what's gone wrong?

EDIT: Tried mounting the Desire as a drive rather than using sync, the images have all moved over but the music still seems misfiled or something.
I'm using Cubed as my player. Is there a better option or do I need to something with my mp3s?
I hope it's not an issue with tags as I want about 4gig of music at the moment and I don't want to have to go through each track checking/amending the tag for each.

Is there a better option than Cubed? It seems very clumsy to me.
Thanks for the tip on playlists, it is useful but doesn't address the question as to why some files seem to be missing.

Not used Cubed myself so can't help you there, but you will find the mp3 files get listed alphabetically unless you select the album option then they are displayed accordingly.
I thought i had mp3 files missing until i used the album option, or scrolled slowly through all songs.

Upvote 0
Pulled the battery, reseated everything. Formatted the card and tried to resync.
It was about a third of the way through and disconnected.
After safely disconnecting I got the 'SD card mounted read only' message.
Pulling it all out AGAIN now to format using a card reader..
Don't know what's next, maybe going to try finding the wifi file transfer app and see if that has any better results as both ways of transferring with it hard wired have failed to work and lead to card problems of various types.

Upvote 0
Try dropbox
Thanks I've set that up and it's a good alternative to transferring the files to the phone but the free app only allows 2GB and presumably only works when I have wifi or 3g connection so while a really nice feature which I'm grateful you have told me about, it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to transfer files to my phone.

Upvote 0
After using Dropbox for a bit there doesn't seem to be a way to save the files to my phone, on a PC you can just copy and paste to a new location but I can't see how to do that on the Desire.
So, has anyone else got another suggestion? I'm sure I saw an app for wifi data transfer but I can't find it on the market or AppBrain.

Upvote 0
Where does dropbox put them? In a folder on your SD card? If so, just navigate there with astro file manger to copy / paste
That works with the image files but DropBox streams the music there are no physical files to copy/paste, just empty folders in Astro with the title of which ever album I play created I assume to store the temp file as the track plays. (On the PC there are physical files for the music so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something or if things are just handled differently when going via the phone.)

EDIT: In DropBox (on the phone) you can press and hold on each track to get a menu up with the option to download. It's going to be slow going doing each track of a 2gig folder but this looks like the way to do it.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants DropBox use this and we'll both get an extra 250mb to our limit http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTExMDIwNzczOQ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones