1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Transferring Apps Between Phones?

1. razrsharp67

razrsharp67 Member

So, across my family, we own three Android phones on Verizon. If I buy an app on my phone, is there a way for the other members of my family to get the app without us having to repay for it?

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I guess you've paid for one copy of Windows and installed it on all their PC's? And one copy of Office? Etc.

Sorry - but if you want more than one person to enjoy using an app that a developer has spent time working on then you need to pay for more than one copy.
    RyanB, thepinkc and suXor like this.
  3. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

There is a way, but I feel the same way as brykins does, and feel that the devs should get paid for their hard work they do in creating apps.
  4. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

The application "bump" just added app transfer but I don't know if it will transfer paid apps.
  5. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried that feature yet, but I'm pretty sure that you can't share apk files. It probably just links to where it is in the market so the other person doesn't have to go searching for it. So if its a paid app then the person receiving tge link would still have to pay for it.

Sent from my Cliq XT using Tapatalk
  6. razrsharp67

razrsharp67 Member

Well I know Apple apps can transfer across devices tied to the same account, and was just wondering if Android apps could do the same. It's totally fine if they can't, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm ok with paying for a great app many times over. I was just wondering if Android had some app transfer infrastructure in place. But it sounds like it does not.

But also, yes, I only buy one copy of office, and spread it amongst my computers.
  7. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

You could attempt to sign onto the other phones with your gmail account, and install the app from the market that way... just a thought. But if its only like a .99 cent app, why not just buy it for each phone? Devs need the $$
  8. razrsharp67

razrsharp67 Member

That's what I was thinking. Tying multiple phones to the same account. And absolutely. I have no problem paying for an app I enjoy, especially if it's only 99 cents :)
    The more money devs have, the more apps of theirs I get to enjoy.