• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transferring contacts WITHOUT having to use a google account

I found something... Looks like it may work nicely. I'll post it here

Source: PPCGeeks - View Single Post - Sync your WM Phone to Google then sync Android
Hopefully you are finding this ahead of your switch to an Android phone unlike my unfortunate self.

Follow these instructions to set up a Google Sync with your Windows Mobile phone and then it will be very easy to have your contacts and calendar transfer to your new Hero on its first sync.

Google Sync: Set Up Your Windows Mobile Phone

Print

To set up Google Sync on your Windows Mobile device, please follow the steps below.

Important Note: Make sure that you have backed up any Contacts and Calendars from your phone to your computer before proceeding. Getting Started

1. Open the Active Sync application on your device's home screen.
2. Click the link Set up your device to sync with it.
3. Enter m.google.com as the server address.
4. Ensure that the SSL option is checked.

mobile_138636a_en.gif
mobile_138636b_en.gif
Sign In to Google Account

5. Click Next.
6. Enter your full Google Account email address as the User name.
7. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
8. Leave the Domain field empty. If your device requires you to enter a domain name, enter google.
9. Click Next.
10. CheckContacts, Calendar, or Email, depending on which you'd like to sync.
11. Click Finish.

mobile_138636c_en.gif
mobile_138636d_choose_data_en.gif

12. Press the Sync softkey on the left to synchronize.

mobile_138636e_en.gif
You've now set up Google Sync for your Windows Mobile device.

Tip: If your business, school, or organization uses Google Apps, your administrator will first need to enable ActiveSync before you can take advantage of this feature.

Upvote 0
Okay, so has anyone used mail2web?

http://mail2web.com/mobile-email/

I see they have a free 60 day trial for mobile email (which I assume is an exchange server). Does anyone know if it does all the catagories, contact pictures, and all that?

I would just try it out but I am hesitant on the off chance that the Evo gets delayed or doesn't get released within the 60 day free trial. Yeah, I know, cheap, lol.

If anyone has tried it out, can you give us the skinny? Does it sync everything with WinMo and Android? And does it do it all on the free trial or do you have to pay to get the full sync?

Upvote 0
not to sure....

Neodorian is correct. If you have Outlook on your PC, just connect your windows mobile phone to your PC and sync it up with outlook with your contacts and calendar information. Once you've done that you can make separate .csv files for your contacts and calendar and just import them into Google. Very simple. That's what I did (although, for the calendar, I couldn't get more than a year of appointments saved, which doesn't really matter for the monthly/yearly recurring events).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones