• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transferring everything from one phone to another

jaypeecee

Dec 14, 2011
Berkshire, England
Hi folks,

I checked some of the threads tackling this topic but I was still left with some unanswered questions. So, I'm trying to determine the best way of transferring all content (migrating) from one Android phone to another Android phone.

My main concern is apps and their associated data/settings. I have 'Back up my settings' and 'Automatic restore' enabled in Settings>Privacy on my current phone. Do these get transferred to a new phone? And, what exactly is meant by 'settings' in this context? Does it include app settings? Would it include contacts, calendar entries, SMS messages, etc? From what I understand, transferring these can be done using other apps like MyPhoneExplorer (via a PC).

Any suggestions?

JPC

With your gmail account you can send back ups of all your contacts to it. It is already keeping track of everything you have downloaded from the market as well. I just went from a G2X to an Amaze 4g.. It popped on asked for my gmail account. I backup all my contacts to my SDHC memory card as well. Phone went out to the market and downloaded the majority of my apps then I went to contacts and did a 1 vcf card import. Then after that I told it to sync to the email accts I had set up. It DID NOT remember my settings or my calendar settings either. But other than putting programs on the home screen I was set up. Maybe 15 minutes on initial set up then a couple hours of futzing with ringtomes off my mem card and wallpaper on it as well. Se I store almost everything on my SDHC mem card. I can always get it back as well. Hope that helped

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones