Transferring Files

1. BigKayDaddy

BigKayDaddy Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new to the Xoom (so is everybody else) as well as the Android operating system. I was wondering how to transfer files such as PDFs, Word, PPT, etc. onto the Xoom.

So far the only way I have been able to do it is by e-mailing them to myself and downloading files through my e-mail account. Also, after I have these files on my Xoom, how do I organize them into folders or something similar?

Advertisement
  2. romshark

romshark Active Member

Easiest way is to connect the Xoom to your PC using the USB cable that came with it. Just plug it in, and it'll show up in Windows Explorer. It will show up as a device, instead of a drive, but just open it, and place your files to your liking. You can make folders to put your stuff in, just like a regular PC drive.
    If you get a message saying the device can only store the files, not open them, just copy them anyway. They should work.
    BigKayDaddy likes this.
  3. BigKayDaddy

BigKayDaddy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I'll try that today.
  4. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

Another good way after creating the folders is to install dropbox and Astro. Dropbox is web hosted file sharing (it gives you cloud access to files you upload), and Astro is a file management app (like windows explorer)
  5. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

astro to make folders and use BT to send them over or install dropbox on both machines. you drop the file into dropbox on your desktop, then pick it up on your dropbox on your xoom. cloud syncing...

EDIT: just saw papers great post! so i will echo what he says. thats a great way to do it. also BT works if your source machine has BT..
  6. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

One of the great things about dropbox is you can edit things like word docs right in dropbox, save and no transfer or copy/paste needed. Good for things you need to update but always need accessible.