Transferring pics from X to PC???Support

Last Updated:

1. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I know this shouldn't be this difficult. I'm just trying to transfer the pictures I've taken on the Droid X so far to my PC.
    However, when I plug the phone into my laptop (via provided USB cable), the only two options I get are:

• Install Motorola Driver
    • Open Folder to View Files
    Okay, should be the second option. But when I click on this (Open Folder...), the only folder options I get are things like: Autorun, Config, Setup, etc.). No "folders" per se.

Help?????

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. jp3_99

jp3_99 Active Member

Goto the usb selection or whatever it called in the notification bar when the phone is plugged into usb and change it to use as mass storage device, that should let you open all the folders on the sd card.

3. bhawk350

bhawk350 New Member

I have "use as mass storage device" selectedon the X, but still am unable to transfer the pics to my laptop using the USB cable. Whenever I try this the computer freezes up until I unplug the phone. I am able to transfer from the card but what a pain having to power down and pull out the battery every time i want to transfer media from the phone. The last attempt at using the cable made the phone send me notifications every 30 seconds for "preparing SD card" until I powered it off. anything I may be missing in the settings? As soon as I plug in the USB I select use as mass storage.

4. JediZombie

JediZombie Well-Known Member

you may have to go into "my computer" and open it manually. it is either drive J: or K:. My mothers phone/pc had the same problem. and it said drive J: was the motoconnect and K: was the actual sd card.

5. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

Use your bluetooth to transfer pics to pc or vice versa.

6. BHuber09

BHuber09 Member

I personally always use it on media sync (or the other option besides charge only pc mode and mass storage) and works fine

7. bhawk350

bhawk350 New Member

Tried going through My Computer...took forever for the drives to show with the phone plugged in. It shows motorola and a removable disk. When I tried to open the removable disk it gave me a window that said windows explorer was not responding...after a while I gave up on it and restarted explorer. Once it restarted I came here to put these *** symptoms on the thread. The phone was sending notifications that it was preparing the SD card for about 3 minutes, and then the autoplay came up (indicated by stars). I guess patience is the key my issue. It definitely does not give you instant gratification like plugging in the SD card directly. From initial plug in of the USB cable until the autoplay came up took around 8 minutes. Thanks for all the replies.

8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

If your only transferring 1 or 2 use Quick Upload.

In Gingerbread, when you are viewing a pic in the gallery, there is the date and 3 icons at the bottom of the screen (Share, Quick Upload, Menu)

Inside gallery, go into settings (Menu / Settings) and setup Quick upload to send to an email address. You also have to have a default email set up in Messaging. Open Messaging / Menu /Messaging settings / Email / Default email account.

Then anytime you press that center icon (single arrow up) the image is immediately emailed to the address of your choice. Go to your desktop or laptop, open your email and voil

9. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

I've been using Dropbox for 6-7 weeks. This free app and software is so easy to use to copy things off the phone to paste on your computer. It was really easy & quick to install.

[SIZE=-0]Simply create an account on your computer first by creating a screen name & password (use this link to get the app: [/SIZE]http://db.tt/jBbIKrs).[SIZE=-0] Then download the app onto your smartphone (iPhone, blackberry, Android, etc) and sign in with the screen name and password you created on your computer. Do it onto the computer FIRST. Anything and everything you "drag" or copy into Dropbox on your phone >files, folders, documents, pictures, photos, songs - including URL's you can copy from Youtube< will immediately be copied into Dropbox on the computer(s) you link to your account (a little slower depending on the size of what you are adding).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-0]Vice versa in copying from your computer, it will copy to Dropbox on your smartphone. If you notice it is taking a long time to copy to your phone (more than 1-2 minutes) you can download an app called ScanMedia (also a fee app) from the market. Once you've downloaded ScanMedia just click that app and when it "opens" then click ReScan and it will update the program. ScanMedia only works on the smartphone, not the computer, from what I've discovered so far. [/SIZE][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0]I find it easiest to create a Dropbox shortcut on both the computer and the phone. Then you can place the ScanMedia shortcut on your phone right next to the app shortcut for Dropbox so it's easy to find &#8594; and since ScanMedia is used to ReScan things to Dropbox, it makes sense to have them next to each other on the phone.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0]Always have your stuff when you need it with Dropbox. In time you'll discover how much space you need. Once you've gotten the pics you want onto your computer (ie they're in the dropbox folder) they can be cut and copied into a separate folder you can create on the desktop and copy the pics to that folder. I had like 1.2GB of stuff in my Dropbox folder/account and after cutting & pasting 75-80 pics of my fiancee's graduation and a bunch of her songs into a separate folder files, I now only have 150MB in my Dropbox. To start a 2GB account is free and after that these are the costs: 50GB is $9.99/month and 100GB is $19.99/month. Here's the link again:http://db.tt/jBbIKrs. You'll see that Dropbox is a secure web site by the https in their web address and the "basic" (2GB of storage) account requires no credit card or financial info. If you (or anyone else) uses the link I've provided we BOTH WILL GET 250MB EXTRA FOR FREE

[/SIZE][/SIZE]I hope this can help you. It is so cool and easy to use, you should be able to figure things out for yourself. Reply to me via Private Message if you need any "coaching" and I'll give you what I can. It is very easy to understand and so far I have linked my Droid X, my laptop (work) and my desktop together. Meaning data in one device's Dropbox will copy to the other two.

** I am not an employee of Dropbox. I'm just a fellow member of AndroidForum trying to pass on what I know to help **

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.