• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transferring pix from Moto X Pure to Imac?

bixler777

Feb 8, 2010
So Cal
i've had a moto x, a moto x 2nd gen, and now the pure, and the first two had no trouble transferring pix to my IMac (i use "Android File Transfer"). but the Pure will NOT do it.

i get an error message, telling me the unit is 'locked up', etc, but dunno what that means. no external hard drive (representing the Pure) icon pops up...and the Android File Transfer pop up window is empty.

what to do?

any help much appreciated.

thanks.

Did you try both PTP and MTP...I would think one should work but I don't have a Mac.

i'm connecting exactly the same way i did my last two moto x's. and the message i get when i plug it in is...

"Can't access device Storage"....followed by, "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, then reconnect the USB cable"

but again, i'm doing everything exactly as i was with the other two phones....and my phone and its screen are not locked.

i dunno what to do?

Upvote 0
Think about using Dropbox as an alternative to messing with drivers and USB settings. Install the Dropbox application on your iMac and set up an account. Use Google Play to install the Dropbox app on your Pure and configure it to backup your photos. Then when you take any pictures they'll be auto-uploaded to Dropbox's servers online and also auto-downloaded to your iMac. Along with the automatic syncing, you'll have three copies of each photo - on your Pure, your iMac, and online.

Upvote 0
Think about using Dropbox as an alternative to messing with drivers and USB settings. Install the Dropbox application on your iMac and set up an account. Use Google Play to install the Dropbox app on your Pure and configure it to backup your photos. Then when you take any pictures they'll be auto-uploaded to Dropbox's servers online and also auto-downloaded to your iMac. Along with the automatic syncing, you'll have three copies of each photo - on your Pure, your iMac, and online.
ok, so you suggest i just upload my pix from my phone to dropbox, then grab them on my Imac? that would work.

Upvote 0
ok, so you suggest i just upload my pix from my phone to dropbox, then grab them on my Imac? that would work.
The appeal to a service like Dropbox is it's automated. The syncing part is done without you having to interact with the process -- you take a picture and that photo file gets uploaded automatically (either WiFi or cellular, although there's a setting to use only WiFi connectivity if you want to save on mobile data), and then that file will also get automatically downloaded onto your iMac. That's why you need both the app on your phone and the application on your iMac. As it's apparently human nature for most of us to inherently avoid doing backups, with a service like Dropbox you don't have to copy anything anywhere as it's done for you, and you end up with three copies of the photo -- the original on your Pure, a copy in your online Dropbox account, and a copy on your iMac. Also note that even if you don't have your phone or computer on hand, you can also access your photo archive at any time using a web browser and logging into your account at https://www.dropbox.com

Upvote 0
Android 6.x changed the protocol somewhat for file transfers, make sure debugging is activated in Developers Options before starting. Once you plug in your USB cable you have to go to the status bar and enable either PTP or MTP as charging is the default. Once enabled it should work for file transfers. The setting defaults back to charge after each reboot.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones