Transition speed and fluidity

Last Updated:

1. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One thing that has kind of always urked me about this phone when comparing it to the evil iPhone is the transitions between pages. Why is it that there is always a little jerk here and there on transitioning from one page to the next? I noticed that lists are often even worse! I mean, how hard is it to render some scrolling text? At the moment, I am running IC3, and it seems to have sped things up quite a bit, but I think the transition issue is an issue with the core O.S. itself?

I am just thinking that a nice, smooth transition would give me warm fuzzies (which is kind of what I was expecting when going root). I know it's minor, but I've always been curious.

Also, I bought SetCPU, and I haven't been able to quite figure out how to overclock this phone yet... I tried raising the min speed, and it locked up the phone. The top speed is set at 880k by default, but it always reads "526" for the current frequency. I was kind of expecting it to have two simple sliders :p One for low frequency (idle) and one for high that were self explanatory, but that does not appear to be the case.

I've been thinking about throwing JIT on it as well since everyone has been talking about it, but I just haven't had the time to really dig into the reading yet.

Advertisement
  2. BigBeefy

BigBeefy Well-Known Member

What system did you choose when you opened setCPU? You have to choose the one that says something about picking automatically. I think it is the second option from the top.

3. majorpay

I went ahead and did the auto and it stuck it on 880... I knocked it down to 768k now. The first time I messed with it, it locked up, so I assumed I was doing something wrong.

I have it working now, but I just recently saw a lock up (battery pull stuff) while installing Linpack from the marketplace...

Perhaps 768 just isn't happening.

4. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

set the min at 19 and the Max at around 710
    As for transitions, download Spare Parts and set the transitions to fast
    If you wanna play around a bit, head over to xda or my thread about SenseUI and grab the Kernal Update for Overclock. THen you can set it up to 768(if your device can handle it)

5. majorpay

Actually, it's currently running at 768... Has been for a while. The min is running at 245. I'm just concerned that the freeze while installing Linpack may have been related. Interestingly enough, the freeze seems to be related to watching the progress bar. As long as I let it load without watching the progress bar, it appears to go fine.

Hell, I was running LastFM all day with no lock ups... Certainly that's got more of a pound to the resources than a stupid little progress bar, right?

6. JrzDroid

oh absolutly

7. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

I have a weak phone- I've never been able to go over 710Mhz or it's instant lock.

Regarding the transition and scrolling: Use Spare Parts to turn off Window Animations and Transition Animations. I had been using Helix Launcher as my Home and the app tray was extremely laggy. I switched over to LauncherPro and it's much snappier- almost no lag.

I'm currently running:
    PureEris 2.0 @ 710MHz. (JIT temporarily removed due to random reboots)
    I have almost no noticeable lag on menu/lists/pages

8. JrzDroid

hattrick, what are you bench marking at?

9. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

Around 2.8-3.2 without JIT. But oddly the phone feels smoother and snappier since uninstalling JIT.