1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Translation app that works offline.

Last Updated:

1. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Google Translate is great, but it's crippling fault is that it needs a data connection to work. Obviously the only time I am going to need language translation tools, is the same time I don't want to pay for roaming data access!!

Are there any good (and preferably free, or minimal cost) language apps for Android that work offline? I need English > Italian initially, but the major languages would need to be supported too.

Many thanks for suggestions!!!

Advertisement
  2. kennymevrick

kennymevrick New Member

I think that instead of looking for the translation software you can try some manual translation which is more accurate and with very less grammatical mistakes, I have been doing the same and getting all the quality translation.

3. Davidd31415

Davidd31415 Member

What do you mean manual? Without a network connection the translator will not work even when voice recognition and voice playback are not used..

4. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

Google doesn't use 'traditional' voice recognition. It doesn't really decode the phonetics of what you're saying. It analyzes the wave file using an algorithm and compares it to stuff on their server, then it's a statistics game from there according to what other people have flagged as 'correct'.

Hence, Google's voice recognition (and most decent and newish ones) will always need a data connection. So, as far as I know, most 'good' voice recognition software will need a data connection or a massive (truly massive) database be kept locally.

5. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

I think a english to italian dictionary is your best bet.

The data file required to keep it local and have no network dependency would be multiple gig's. Don't think you'll be seeing that happen.

6. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Well-Known Member

I did a market search for "offline translate dictionary", I got tons of results that had offline translations.

7. SlowDave

SlowDave New Member

Yeah, I did too, the first of which was Google Translate. Says you can download your favorite languages for offline use, but I can't see where I can do that. Anyone know how? I have Google Translate for Android (obviously) v 2.3.1, build 61.

8. vpelton

vpelton Well-Known Member

It says you can "star" your favorite translations & this will save them offline. Didn't see where you can save the whole app offline, but I'd sure like that. Anyone know?