• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have a 2015 8GB MotoG and I can't figure out how to free up internal memory.

I can't add new apps because the device storage is full, 3.46 GB for the Android OS and 4.11 GB for apps and files, many of them photos. I deleted 1200 photos after having downloaded them to my PC but that didn't change available memory.

Where are these deleted photos which no longer appear in my photos app either on the phone or when I access the photos from my PC? Are they in a folder somewhere, hidden?

One additional problem. When I attach my phone to my PC via USB with the external SD card inserted, all it shows is the SD card, which is empty but nothing for the internal memory (or any folders for the phone itself). If I remove the SD card and reconnect the phone, I get a message "This folder empty" with no folders showing.

What can I do to physically delete the 1200 photos. They no longer appear on my PC when I access my photos through my account.

To free up some memory...

1) Go to Settings - Storage & USB, then tap Internal Storage, in the list will be "Cached Data", tap that and it should prompt you to Clear cached data, select OK and wait for the process to finish.

2) Perform a Cache Partition wipe: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...ail/a_id/105527/p/30,6720,9390/kw/clear cache
NOTE: this process can take what seems like a long time (20+ minutes even), it is normal on this device, be patient and it will finish.

This should help clear up quite a bit of space, depending on your apps and usage, without wiping any information.

I also suggest using Google Photo to maintain online backups of photos and videos therefore there is no need to manually copy photos to your computer.

If you cannot access your SD card storage, perform these steps:

- Disconnect USB cable
- Go to Settings - Apps and tap the 3-dot menu button and select Show system
- Scroll down to find External Storage and tap it, then tap Storage, and Clear Data.
- Press Back twice for the main app list
- Scroll down to find Media Storage and tap it, then tap Storage, and Clear Data.
- Press Home and reboot your phone
- After it is fully booted, wait a minimum of 5 minutes (if you have a LOT of photos on external storage, wait at least 15 minutes)
- Reconnect your USB
- Pull down the notification shade, select "USB for charging - Touch for more options" and select MTP, your files should now show up in Windows

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones