• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm flying to Germany next week and I'm taking my Eris for the wifi. The Charger is rated @ 100-240v and 50-60hz.
IMAG0048.jpg
Am I correct it's auto switches like laptop power supplies and only need an adapter and not a converter?
Secondly, the us plug slides out...
IMAG0049.jpg
can a European one be purchased to replace it or am I just stuck getting the adapter? I Googled for a while but was unable to find just the piece that slides in.

Also just to verify, as long as I turn off the data switch I won't incur charges correct?

~as a side note, the forum dictionary didn't recognize "Googled" as a word, I had to add it. Maybe Webster just needs to get with the times :p

I have been in the Middle East for the last several weeks. I have the network shut off and have not incurred extra data charges with Verizon. Although I can't make calls, I enjoy having it with me. One thing that affects me here is that this country blocks many web sites. For example, Pandora is blocked. I am still having fun checking out apps, using the camera, and killing time with games, music, etc.

Many hotels in Europe have electrical plugs that will accept the American "two prong", but many will not. You can look up the plug style for your destination on the web, then get the correct adapter. I have a plug-in located in my hotel room bathroom that will accept the standard charger plug. The voltage should not be an issue anywhere in Europe. Have fun.

Upvote 0
One more suggestion is to simply use the miniUSB cable and the USB port on your computer to charge. It's slower, but you won't have to worry about accidentally frying your phone and/or charger.

From what I know about people coming from abroad and staying with us, they do not use anything special, just something to convert the plug to fit a US socket.

I think you'd be safer doing the miniUSB method, though, since it would suck to not have a phone while away.

Upvote 0
I'm flying to Germany next week and I'm taking my Eris for the wifi. The Charger is rated @ 100-240v and 50-60hz.
View attachment 2360
Am I correct it's auto switches like laptop power supplies and only need an adapter and not a converter?

Based on the fact that the charger is listed as 240v and 50 Hz compliant, you would just need an adapter.

I doubt that you will need to worry about data charges, because I do not think that there are any CDMA providers in Germany. (Verizon does not list Germany as a place where you can get international roaming, even for voice.) The Eris should be fine with WiFi, though it may suck battery as it attempts to find a signal that it cannot find. (I've not been in a place without CDMA, just in places with a signal so weak that it kept switching between a weak signal and no signal.) If you're worried, though, yes, just turning off mobile networking should prevent any data charges.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I will actually be staying with people I haven't yet met so no hotels, but I didn't know that some hotels had regular US plugs too! That may prove useful on another trip, nice tip. I won't be leaving it on all the time (data, wifi etc.) I'm just using it as a camera and for the gps mostly, I've downloaded some apps I've read elsewhere in the forum. The wifi will just be on when I come across it to email and maybe up a few pics. The usb/pc charger is a great idea too. I'm taking a netbook so that will work out nicely.

Thanks guys...off to far away lands!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones