• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Travel] - Off to Switzerland

LuvMusic

Jul 27, 2010
Chicago area
In about 3 hours I'll be off to the the airport and jetting to Switzerland. I'm going to be there for about two weeks which will give me a perfect opportunity to test out TMo's international plan.

I'm going to post a mini travel log of my TMo experience on the other side of the pond, so, keep checking back if your interested.

Cheers!

In about 3 hours I'll be off to the the airport and jetting to Switzerland. I'm going to be there for about two weeks which will give me a perfect opportunity to test out TMo's international plan.

I'm going to post a mini travel log of my TMo experience on the other side of the pond, so, keep checking back if your interested.

Cheers!

Post some speed tests.

Upvote 0
Did you shop for a local prepaid plan? It might be cheaper than Tmobile international roaming.

You using Tmobile because you want phone call from USA route to you while there?

I'm using my phone primarily for texts and light data/web usage, all of which are free with my TMo plan. As far as voice is concerned, I have my work issued international blackberry and access to free land lines, so, voice is not a major concern. Nobody calls me! ;)

Direct answer is "No," haven't shopped local prepaid because I don't feel the need. Local prepaid for me won't be cheaper. No roaming charges, data and texting are free with my TMo plan.

Upvote 0
I see. Local people have to call your USA number?

I don't think my prepaid plan has all these option.

Yes, locals call my USA number, but, people here who would call me are in the office where I work when I'm here. Also makes it easier for the people in the USA because you would be surprised how many of them don't know how to make an international call. ;)

Reactions: tube517 and chong67
Upvote 0
Back in the USA and I have to say my TMo international experience was pretty good. About 75% of the time I had 3G, HSPA or HSPA+. Other times 2G. Never did I experience "No Connection."

While there I did things like text the kids, catch-up on news and blogs when eating dinner alone (one of the downsides of frequent business travel), and also purchased and then downloaded some MP3 files from Amazon.

The speed was nowhere near what I get in the USA, however, it was usable and got the job done. With this international plan I see no reason to pursue SIM swapping.

Now......let's wait to see what happens when the bill comes in. I'm not expecting any surprises.

Reactions: la sal and DirtyDee
Upvote 0
Reactions: chong67 and la sal
Upvote 0
Just a quick update. Just returned from three weeks in Europe (again!); two weeks in Switzerland and one week in Paris, France.

Tmo's roaming plan is just awesome! When I crossed the border from Switzerland to France (on train) got the three texts from TMo telling me I have free texts, data and the 20 cents a minute for voice. FYI, I had pretty good data the entire train trip from Zurich to Paris.

Used Google maps to get around while in Paris and the data updates while walking were great.....didn't get lost and always knew where I was.

TMo's international free roaming is awesome.....I am impressed.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update. Just returned from three weeks in Europe (again!); two weeks in Switzerland and one week in Paris, France.

Tmo's roaming plan is just awesome! When I crossed the border from Switzerland to France (on train) got the three texts from TMo telling me I have free texts, data and the 20 cents a minute for voice. FYI, I had pretty good data the entire train trip from Zurich to Paris.

Used Google maps to get around while in Paris and the data updates while walking were great.....didn't get lost and always knew where I was.

TMo's international free roaming is awesome.....I am impressed.

Are you getting 4G there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones