• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Travel to Europe with the G1

kracked17

Lurker
Apr 8, 2009
I'm traveling some in Europe next month, and since I'm no longer with Verizon, I finally have the option - I believe - of carrying my phone with me when I travel.

But I'm not entirely sure how I go about this most effectively. There are a lot of answers out there (including on this forum), but no where could I find a consise break down of what your options are for voice only, voice and data, and what the differences are between Germany (T-mobile) and France (not T-Mobile).

What I was hoping to find answers to are, for people with t-mobile purchased phones, what are our options abroad? From what I've gathered, the standard T-mobile answer is to keep your SIM card in place and roam on t-mobile (in Germany in my case) and have no access outside of t-mobile (again, this would be France for me). And from what I've gathered, the voice is like $1-$2 for this option, and data is either not included or so expensive it's not worth even considering.

But what if you're willing to swap out SIM cards? I see info of people who go through hoops to get their phone/service just how they want it in Europe, but they live in those countries. What if I'm only in the country for 6 days? What modifications (if any) make sense for such a short trip?

Anyone who knows answers to these questions, and especially has any experience traveling abroad with a G1, your help would be greatly appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones