Travel to USAGeneral

Last Updated:

1. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

I am planning a trip to the USA this year. I don't want to get stung with data charges etc, so was thinking of buying a sim in the USA with a data allowance on it. Will my S2 be OK in the USA for data use, and if so can anyone recommend a sim that I can buy easily once in the USA that will do what I am after.

If not the alternative is to turn the data off and use the phone over wifi networks only. Just really looking to be able to post details of our trip, pics etc to Facebook and to message people.

Phone is currently on T-Mobile UK but I have unlocked it myself with the unlock app.

My usage in UK is only 20 minutes a month, about 100 texts but I do use the internet a bit, around 500mb a month. Staying in USA for 2 weeks. Was looking at something like this:-

I believe to get 3G in USA I need to look at using the AT&T network.

2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I'm pretty sure that's correct; iirc T-Mobile in the US uses an unsupported (on the GS2) frequency band so you'd only get basic 2G service with them.
    togger161 likes this.
  3. lotsip81

lotsip81 Well-Known Member

I have an I9100 International that was purchased in Germany that was T-Mobile branded. When I traveled to the United States, I was able to obtain 3G, H, and H+ on AT&T and T-Mobile SIM networks.

As far as which network to chose, look and see who offers the best coverage in the area you are traveling too.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

T-Mobile US include the 1700MHz band amongst their spectrum, so any masts utilising that will be unavailable to Exynos-equipped GS2s. The latter also do not support T-Mobile's 42Mbps HSPA+ network.