1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Traveling to Europe with Verizon Galaxy Nexus

1. Eibach

Eibach New Member

I will be traveling to Europe for a little over a month in the summer.

I have the Verizion version of the Galaxy Nexus. And I really would like to use it over there. However I know that it doesnt work because of the network type they use over there.

I dont want to buy the GSM version of the phone just to go over there but I was wondering if there are any other options that I have

I will be using my phone for mostly calls and text. I can use WIFI for all my data.

Advertisement
    :
  2. artman540

artman540 Well-Known Member

Only thing you can do is use wifi and Google Voice or something similar.
  3. in2uition

in2uition Well-Known Member

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

calls and texts? have you looked at the cost? 1.99 a minute i think and a separate charge for outgoing and incoming text messages.

I travel to Asia often and have with my G Nex already. I use it on wifi only in airplane mode.

Your phone may work depending on what part of Europe you're in. Believe it or not there are a few CDMA companies out there.
  5. Eibach

Eibach New Member

6. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Google Voice is not a voip service and cannot make internet calls. In Europe, the only way to make calls is via wifi using a voip service like Skype, Fring, etc.

Other options would be to get a cheap (used?) gsm phone and slap a prepaid sim in it when you get there for calls. They have cheap traveller's phones there too, I believe.

Verizon can also give you a loaner for travelling- probably charge an arm and a leg though.
  7. trophynuts

Usually when i travel i use a combo of Skype on my laptop and I get a local calling card for dirt cheap to use on land lines. Everyone's needs are different though.
  8. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

I think you can buy a pay as you go mifi and use that as a hotspot for your GN. I did research on it for my office but that was for domestic use and not international. But I'm guessing somebody will offer something like that. Maybe even a carrier in europe.

Caveat is that you need to get a mifi device.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

But is it anything that the handset can use? There is some 450 MHz stuff in a few places, particularly Nordic countries, but the handset won't support that band.

I can't think of anything else. The UMTS 3G is technically W-CDMA 2100, which can cause confusion as it uses a CDMA air interface, but it's a different standard as well as frequency band.
  10. trophynuts

if i'm not mistaken there maybe some places in Germany even though it's mostly covered by Vodafone which obviously is GSM.

I do know that South East Asia has some CDMA coverage because i've used it there on my VZW devices.
  11. Eibach

Eibach New Member

So if i were to use that app it would go over data?

Also do you think it would be a good idea to fork up the 400$ for a gsm version https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Then just return it when i get back?
  12. in2uition

in2uition Well-Known Member

colchiro and trophynuts like this.
  13. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

You would need wifi to use a voip app.
  14. Eibach

Eibach New Member

haha alright. I was just an idea lol