Travelling to Canada - How do I turn off everything but phone and texting?Support

Last Updated:

1. irishgator

irishgator Active Member This Topic's Starter

I will be traveling to Canada in the near future. I don't want to have to worry about paying excessive roaming fees, etc.

How to I set up my EVO such that it will only send/receive phone calls and text messages to avoid data fees?

Btw, is there a way to do this, and still turn on WiFi so I can access the web/email at my location without paying data fees?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You can add control widgets to any home screen. It's under Widgets-Settings. Add one for 4g, one for Mobile Network (3g), and one for Wifi. As long as 4g and Mobile Network are turned off, your phone wont use any data, and will still be able to call and get texts. Then, when you want to use wifi, hit the wifi switch.

Chaco and irishgator like this.
  3. irishgator

Great idea. Of course, I am using LauncherPro, so those Widgets don't seem to be there. But, this will be a backup method for the travel time if necessary.

4. skaramanga

skaramanga Active Member

I'm using LauncherPro as well and found SwitchPro is great for a multi-purpose on-off widget.

$0.99 in the market.

5. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

you can uncheck mobile network under the network settings and it will only have data service when wifi is on BUT this comes with a caveat. For some reason (at least this was the case when I was on 2.1) syncing and updating doesnt seem to register that this setting has been changed and freaks out, rebooting the phone constantly.

I did this while in canada and eventually had to just go into airplane mode and uncheck that value.

6. irishgator

For what it is worth, I called Sprint. They said there is no way to do it, other than to call them and tell them what days you would be travelling, and they can turn it off from their end for a couple of days. Not sure what that would do to battery life...

JuiceDefender also has a widget to turn it off. Problem is that there is no good description in the system that clarifies what you are doing, and that you are positively turning off data. I think I'd still be concerned about burning money inadvertantly...

7. brushrop03

brushrop03 Well-Known Member

Hold down the power button and turn off Mobile Network...you still get text/phone calls but you won't use any data

EVU, Chaco and irishgator like this.
  8. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member

Seems like whomever you talked to at Sprint had no clue what they are talking about. You can do it from the "mobile network" setting. It does in fact turn data off, I know from personal experience.

*Edit* And sms messages & Phone calls come through just fine.

tlr3 and irishgator like this.
  9. tlr3

tlr3 Member

i'm anticipating a similar situation and thus appreciate this thread. a sprint representative claimed to me that texts would not result in a charge (i have the usual sprint evo plan). can anyone corroborate that? the material on the sprint website is a little unclear on that one (but perfectly clear about charging you for everything else in the world when in canada!).

any info much appreciated.

10. Chaco

Chaco Well-Known Member

the first reply answered the question... we may now lock this and move on.

so many more posts that confusing people

11. P_Dub

P_Dub Well-Known Member

Actually, I would like to find out how much international data fees would cost.

12. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Well-Known Member

The Canadian data rate is [FONT=&quot]$0.002 per kb, which adds up fast on a smart phone. I'm heading up there next week and will be keeping mine turned of[/FONT]f. I'll just check emails and use data over free Wi-Fi at the restaurants and hotels.