• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Tri-Band S3 (SPH-L710T)

Well, I have been with boost mobile for a while now, but I finally moved back up to an S3 on their network. (Had one before, under T-Mobile) I thought I had a SPH-L710, but I have a SPH-L710T.
Knowing that, I learned a few things I don't want other people to have to learn like I did.

Stock is the only ROM (Kernel?) that rotates properly.

Install custom ROM:
Follow the steps provided to install the ROM by the Dev.
Boot your fresh ROM
Diagnose any issues (Wifi, Bluetooth, data, rotation, etc)
Apply the APN Fix for your network.
If you feel gutsy, make a backup, and try a new Kernel to attempt to fix your issues.
Kernel tests:
Conquest: Singularity:
Code:
 KtoonSez: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871946 (Touchwiz version) 100% works
Stock: Rotation works. Loses Wifi. Maybe bluetooth, mobile data...
Resurrection Remix:
Code:
Stock: Rotation correct, Phone and NFC FC Loop
3.4.91-CM: Rotation inverted, no bluetooth, no camera
3.4.104-CM: Rotation inverted, no bluetooth, no data, no wifi, camera non-tested
KT747-07-11-2014: LED Pulsed blue, no boot passed the Kernel screen
QuantumKernel-9.8: Rotation inverted, no wifi, no bluetooth, no camera
DKP-20140925: Rotation inverted, no wifi, no bluetooth, no camera
ROM results:
Some ROMs will cause a connection issue to the camera. Hit or miss.
Code:
BrokenOS: No baseband, wifi, BT
CM11 Snapshot M10: Works perfect by other users reviews.
Beanstalk: Everything works except for landscape rotation
Resurrection Remix: Everything works except landscape rotation, and BT
Conquest: Singularity: Everything works after kernel update for (Touchwiz) KT747 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871946
Rooting method:
Code:
1) Place phone in download mode
2) Flash Philz via Odin
3) Reboot into recovery
4) Restart, and it will ask to install SU Binaries
5) Boot phone, open play store, install Superuser
L710 radios DO NOT WORK with the L710T. If you flash a Non-T Radio, follow the guide below:
If your radio gets fragged by a non-T, do not fret. We have a way to get you back to L710TVPU0ANF4.
Code:
1) Download this file: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23681161096070687
2) Reboot to PhilZ
3) Install the .zip
4) Reboot normally
5) Profit!
All thanks for this radio fix go to wykydtron.

These little tid-bits being posted to the world, I hope I have helped someone out there.

I don't have much experience with Kies really.. but can you use that to do a restore? It should put the phone in download mode and re-flash the phone or something like that if I remember right.

I wondered the same thing, actually. I searched it up and couldn't get a yes or no, so I may actually try it. From what I understand, however, Kies only deals with the ROM and kernel, nothing else. I will get back to you on that.

Edit:

Well, that sucked more than it just updating the ROM and Kernel. Kies says incompatible device for the L710T. I thought it was just the fact that I was running BeanStalk, so I booted to download, and still the same issue.

Reactions: fatnickd1
Upvote 0
I originally had the SPH- L710 not i have the triband model after making an insurance claim from my s3 getting water damage well the packaging it came in said it was a SPH-L710 and not the tri-band model and I already had a back up of the original software from my sph- l710 and when i proceeded to flash the blackhole supernova rom (jb 4.2) and what was on my damaged galaxy s3 would not boot past the logo, and tried to reflash the stock software and would not take. Then I tried the samsung kies route and I keep getting check serial number and model number and was also when I discovered it was a SPH-L710T. :stupido2:

I have Philz touch recovery but I need help bringing my phone back. so far the only rom that took was 4.3 jb for sprint s3 but wifi wont work, no data ( wont let me update prl, profile etc.) and it will call out but after it rings i lose signal and get an out of service message after the call is cut.

Im completely lost and any help is appreciated!

Reactions: fatnickd1
Upvote 0
Avoid the triband at all costs boost mobile network engineer told me after i asked if they have been having issues with the triband s3s said he was not at liberty to say yes or no which means that is a yes and also told me that I would have to buy a new phone from them. which left me stuck with a paperweight and i just went to straight talk got a shc-s968c s3 which appears to have gsm and cdma platforms all in one, as my phone is running in cdma mode but also has a simcard slot. Cydia Impactor works for rooting this gs3 model.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
I just had a thought. I don't know if it will work or not if Knox has been tripped. I would sure give it a try though. I would get in touch with them and let them know that they sent you the wrong model. You sent in a SPH-L710 and they sent you a SPH-L710-T model. That is not what you originally purchased and you want the phone you bought, not a T model. You say the box says it's a SPH-L710 and that's not what was in the box. That and the fact that they sent you a different phone other than what you originally purchased are grounds for a major complaint. The only way they could get out of sending you a non T model is if they are not making them any longer. If that is the case then they should have notified you, let you know, and offered you options.

You want what you paid for and that's not what they sent you. If you let them know your are serious, there's a very good chance they will fix you up. If they do not, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau and they will open a case on your behalf. You would be surprised what a company will do once they are contacted by the BBB. I was having problems getting a brand new Dell laptop with a bleeding screen and trying to get it fixed. After several unsuccessful attempts to get it fixed I finally contacted the BBB and they opened case. Less than a week later Dell contacted me and informed me they would be sending an upgraded model. It was refurbished but I went from a dual core laptop to an i3 with all the bells and whistles,Bluetooth, and an extra gig of RAM. I ended up with a laptop which was several hundred dollars more than the original one I purchased. That's been almost 3 years ago and that laptop is still performing beautifully.

That was the 1st time I had ever let the BBB handle a complaint for me and I must confess, they really impressed me. I had no idea they had that much influence. Especially with a huge company like Dell.

Whatever steps you decide to take, I wish you the best. You deserve to get the same model you originally purchased. Don't let them try to bully you because there's a good chance they will. Either that or tell you there's nothing they can do. Companies like that always have options. Dell tried to bully me and give me the runaround. It didn't work. ;)

Reactions: jaymzway
Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I've had success with Conquest's Singularity TW/ROM but the modem is the problem. Not to mention reconfiguring the Msl afterwards, but I suspect that isn't going to fair as difficult. I just came across a couple of opensource zips on samsung's website. (Samsung Opensource Release Center Specifically:
SPH-L710T_NA L710TVPU0ANF4
&&
SPH-L710T_NA L710TVPU0ANE5
I'm going to look into extracting the modem & applying it via PhilZ. I doubt it will lay end perfectly with Singularity without further tweaking but first priority is reviving the "dead" modem.

btw... the transfer rates are rather atrocious for the link above.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I've had success with Conquest's Singularity TW/ROM but the modem is the problem. Not to mention reconfiguring the Msl afterwards, but I suspect that isn't going to fair as difficult. I just came across a couple of opensource zips on samsung's website. (Samsung Opensource Release Center Specifically:
SPH-L710T_NA L710TVPU0ANF4
&&
SPH-L710T_NA L710TVPU0ANE5
I'm going to look into extracting the modem & applying it via PhilZ. I doubt it will lay end perfectly with Singularity without further tweaking but first priority is reviving the "dead" modem.

btw... the transfer rates are rather atrocious for the link above.

Well, if you succeed, please do share. I'd like to get my S3 back up and running.

Upvote 0
I read in a previous post that samsung has an opensource for the sph-l710T. Here is the link Samsung Opensource Release Center. In the search box just type the model name in and it should pull up the files. I believe this is the stock firmware, if I'm correct you should be able to flash this to your phone, restore your stock rom, and restore your phone back to original. Don't quote me though. Hope it all works out.

Upvote 0
Ok where I stand now is with complete stock unmodified or rooted. I plan on backing up every mounted partition singularly and creating a flashable zip modem for SPH-L710T. I'm proceeding with extreme caution in doing this, so I dont mess up. My current roadblock is "Will flashing Philz recovery modify anything else on this device apart from recovery function??" **mainly directed to radio/modem** --------- Also, I'm aware it will trip KNOX should i be concerned other than warranty void for Samsung?
If i can get these answered, I c as n start moving forward Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Ok where I stand now is with complete stock unmodified or rooted. I plan on backing up every mounted partition singularly and creating a flashable zip modem for SPH-L710T. I'm proceeding with extreme caution in doing this, so I dont mess up. My current roadblock is "Will flashing Philz recovery modify anything else on this device apart from recovery function??" **mainly directed to radio/modem** --------- Also, I'm aware it will trip KNOX should i be concerned other than warranty void for Samsung?
If i can get these answered, I c as n start moving forward Thanks in advance :)

Changing your recovery partition changes nothing to do with the phone, other than recovery (Other than some recoveries requesting to root your phone)
KNOX really isn't that big a deal. Other than warranty, and big company uses (Making sure the device is still secure to manufacture specifications), it means nothing.
Looking forward to your work, as it will potentially save my phone. :D
P.S. Are you implying you have fixed your GS3? You said completely stock, but the stock ROM doesn't have the radio built in

Upvote 0
Changing your recovery partition changes nothing to do with the phone, other than recovery (Other than some recoveries requesting to root your phone)
KNOX really isn't that big a deal. Other than warranty, and big company uses (Making sure the device is still secure to manufacture specifications), it means nothing.
Looking forward to your work, as it will potentially save my phone. :D
P.S. Are you implying you have fixed your GS3? You said completely stock, but the stock ROM doesn't have the radio built in

I couldn't fix it, had to do some smooth talking with girl at my local store. In short its a completely new device.
Okay so all systems go...
Project Checklist:
Knox - no care
Odin - ready
Philz_touch - ready
Root - pending via Philz
adb backup partitions - pending via root
($ method: $ adb shell ; dd if="targeted partition mount" of="targeted extraction point".img)
------------------------------------ thanks for the second opinion on knox & the recovery.
I am feeling alittle more confident about this.. unless Im missing something.

Upvote 0
I couldn't fix it, had to do some smooth talking with girl at my local store. In short its a completely new device.

Beast mode enabled. I like it.

Okay so all systems go...
Project Checklist:
Knox - no care
Odin - ready
Philz_touch - ready
Root - pending via Philz
adb backup partitions - pending via root
($ method: $ adb shell ; dd if="targeted partition mount" of="targeted extraction point".img)
------------------------------------ thanks for the second opinion on knox & the recovery.
I am feeling alittle more confident about this.. unless Im missing something.
Everything sounds good. I mean, install recovery, and you're a straight shot from backing up all the partitions. I just need the radio, and just for the sake of other L710T users, I will host the zip myself (Homeserver FTW) and update OP with a link to it. I'm 100% certain someone out there will make the same mistake, and need a radio to go back to.

Just Remembered!!! I got Kies to work last night Im going to attempt backup on Kies as well ( before I modify recovery ). Ill do this now.

Holy... How?! Kies looked at my L710T like it was ZTE brand device...

Reactions: wykydtron
Upvote 0
Well, did some research for you.
Running
Code:
ls -al /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name
Brings up a fun point.
There is no radio partition. There is, however, a modem partition. 3 of them?
Modem = /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Modemst1 = /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
Modemst2 = /dev/block/mmcblk0p13

If modem is all we need, however, then
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/radio.img
SHOULD Work

Edit:

Info from http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...ameleon-some-efs-imei-info-brick-backups.html

This is where the "NV items are stored". Actually from what I know, they use to be stored in a file on the EFS partition, but now they are not stored there. Instead partitions 12,13 and 21 contain the "NV ITEMS".
This is important info because NV items are where the secure phone info is stored like your ESN, AAA, HA passwords etc.
MODEMST1 - Modem Storage 1 (NV data)
MODEMST2- Modem Storage 2 (NV data)
backup - NV data backup partition
FSG - Modem Storage "Golden Copy"

So Maybe the other two modem partitions are required...

Edit 2:

Disregard. Those files are individual to phones as I read, not an integral part of the modem file. So, there's that answer. Just need the modem :p

Edit 3:

Let's make this the last.
My phone is rooted, and by downloading Terminal Emulator, I was able to back up my radio to my SD Card following the command above exactly. I saved it as a .bin file to make it odin flashable... I don't know about .img, but everywhere I read says the radio/modem should be backup up as a .bin

Upvote 0
Nice!! I'll look into it more in just little bit, but hey progress is progress what stand in the way of it can be taken care of step by step.
RESULTS - Odin flash for Philz Touch - SPH-L710T_:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.48.4-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> RES OK !!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Added!!
-------------------------
100% Success, just applied the SU binaries for Root in Philz & it worked flawlessly also.

Upvote 0
100% Success, just applied the SU binaries for Root in Philz & it worked flawlessly also.

Like I said in OP, easiest way to root right there :p
But yeah, I'm holding my breath. I've wanted this paperweight functional again for a good little while.

Edit: Do be aware the radio file is ~60 megs on my phone.

Upvote 0
Well, did some research for you.
Running
Code:
ls -al /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name
Brings up a fun point.
There is no radio partition. There is, however, a modem partition. 3 of them?
Modem = /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Modemst1 = /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
Modemst2 = /dev/block/mmcblk0p13

If modem is all we need, however, then
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/radio.img
SHOULD Work

Edit:

Info from http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...ameleon-some-efs-imei-info-brick-backups.html

So Maybe the other two modem partitions are required...

Edit 2:

Disregard. Those files are individual to phones as I read, not an integral part of the modem file. So, there's that answer. Just need the modem :p

Edit 3:

Let's make this the last.
My phone is rooted, and by downloading Terminal Emulator, I was able to back up my radio to my SD Card following the command above exactly. I saved it as a .bin file to make it odin flashable... I don't know about .img, but everywhere I read says the radio/modem should be backup up as a .bin

Philz has the option to backup the modem in custom backup options. I'm about to try it out. **.bin files can be restored through Philz btw!!!! :smokingsomb:

Reactions: FoxTrot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones