triangle above my signal strength bars.

1. dvrdwn

dvrdwn Well-Known Member

I just noticed a triangle above my signal strength bars. what does that mean?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Means you are roaming.
    damewolf13 and dvrdwn like this.
  3. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

roaming. Or you got one piece of the Triforce
    Ilya and dvrdwn like this.
  4. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

I think it means you are roaming. I get it on my phone when I roam on to another network.

On Edit: Dang, I need to type faster...lol
    dvrdwn likes this.
  5. dvrdwn

dvrdwn Well-Known Member

fast response, thanks!
  6. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Does it look like the Predator laser beam pattern?? :D
  7. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

lol @ triforce comment.
  8. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

It's a trap!

[​IMG]
  9. jabbahoo

jabbahoo Member

Read your manual, It tells you.
  10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I find the triangle frustrating...at times it appears when I know I am in network coverage
  11. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Doesn't updating the PRL help to reduce roaming occurances?
  12. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

If you don't have a manual handy, as most of us don't carry it around, then the helpful,and knowledgeable folks on this forum never seem to mind helping each other.
  13. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Ask away! That's why we are all here!!! :)
    damewolf13 likes this.
  14. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Actually there's a widget right on the EVO - HTC Mobile Guide. It links to Table of Contents (htc.com/us/mobile/sprint/htc-evo/)
    damewolf13 likes this.
  15. x0lliex

x0lliex Active Member

Awesome. Brings back happy memories of the original Zelda.
  16. theintoxicatedmofo

theintoxicatedmofo Well-Known Member

i have yet to see that icon on my Evo...can you just set your evo to work on your home network like you can on the blackberry? i know on the tour i set my network to home only, so the phone i dont think would roam because if it didnt detect the sprint network it would just not have any reception..
  17. mynamewastaken

Yep, it's under:

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Roaming

Your options are 'Sprint only' and 'Automatic"
  18. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

Manuals are for women and noobs!!
  19. mynamewastaken

... and people who don't know what they doing to the point they have to ask on message boards, and wait for the answer, which may possibly be wrong, or may give you many differing answers of which possibly none are right :)
  20. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

But when you depend on a manual for the perfect sterile answer, you give up all of this enlightening interaction among such a lively, and intellectual community.
    Might as well just shut the forums down then.
  21. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

I roam at my house... :(

But what does roaming actually mean, anyways? Aside from the fact that I'm not going to be making any calls any time soon... I mean, wouldn't it just make more sense to say, "No Coverage"?
  22. Roq

Roq Well-Known Member

I forget where I read this, but I think when you are roaming it limits what you can actually do, and the connection is really slow.

I go between a sprint tower and Verizon tower at work because the sprint one is barley in range. Even with full bars from the Verizon tower it goes slower than 1 or 2 bars on the Sprint tower.
  23. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Roaming means you're on Verizon's network and towers instead of Sprint. As far as I know, there's no charges from Sprint for making calls or using data while romaing. There is supposedly a "limit" of 800 MB on data while roaming, after which Sprint can charge/suspend/drop your account, though I don't think it's been enforced on anyone yet.

The connection speed probably just depends on the network saturation and 3G availability for Verizon's network vice Sprints for the area in question. I think the 3G systems are compatible with one another, though I'm more familiar with GSM and ATT/TMobile's 3G than I am with CDMA.

No coverage means you don't have a cell signal at all.

I actually wish there was an easy way to force the phone into roaming. At my girlfriends house, pretty much the *ONLY* network for miles is Verizon with the odd Sprint tower scattered in. GSM is nearly non-existent. My Evo insists on trying to hold on to that one bar Sprint tower rather than flipping to the 4-5 bar Verizon tower. I could use a hacked PRL, but I only need the forced roaming every other weekend.
  24. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Roaming means nothing these days. You would be screwed if it were 5 or 8 years ago. Now all carriers basically have open roaming policies SO LONG AS YOU HAVE A NATIONAL PLAN.

I'm not trying to burn OP, I have a genuine question... Is this your first cell phone? Roaming indicators haven't changed in better than 8 years...
  25. mynamewastaken

Back with my PPC-6700 there was a 'Roam only' option, but an update killed that (which was re-added with a custom rom). Same with a custom rom on the 6800 and Touch Pro. There's no reason why one of the many custom roms on the evo couldn't do the same thing, they just haven't (that I know of.)