Trident Aegis case review with lots of pictures!Tips

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Here is my review of Trident Aegis case I just received - Aegis Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2/N7100

I usually start with a package, but in this case I want to start with a shipping box itself. Today every company is trying to distinguish themselves with some unique detail to set them apart. Typically you get your case package inside of bubble envelope, but in this case it came in a cartoon box with a really cool art That's my first picture below, I thought that detail was very unique. Package itself is very nice, typical of a premium case which sets it apart from cheap ebay stuff. In addition to the case, it also included a little guide with other Trident products and a nice screen protector/application card/cleaning cloth. I already have screen protector, so didn't bother with the one included, but it felt thicker than usual cheap stuff and also had dotted alignment lines on a cover film - a thoughtful touch. Website talks about included charm attachment - I didn't see it in my package, but the case has two small holes by micro-usb connector for something like lanyard attachment, captured in the picture as well.

The case itself is a single piece molded PC and TPE material. PC is very flexible, a lot more flexible than any of my other cases. TPE in comparison to a typical TPU is more elastic, thus last "E" stands for elastomer and feels softer and more rubbery. The plastic on the back is matte and not as slippery, kind of with lightly sandblasted finish, yet it has two shiny stripes along the sides. The case is very rounded off on the back, making it very easy to hold and giving it a nice grip. The whole combination of PC and rubber material, rounded design, and combination of two plastic finishes makes it very ergonomic to hold in your hand. I do want to mention that back is not flat so when you put it down on the flat surface there will be some wobble.if you like typing on a phone in that position. Trident symbol design in the middle also gives additional friction grip with a surface.

Inside of the case you will find elastic rubber lining all the way around with a honeycomb pattern and black "stitches" which indicate where rubber is molded to external PC shell. Definitely will serve as a good shock absorption if dropped. When you look at the picture of the case without a phone, you see its a little bent because of the flex of PC material. But once you insert the phone in the case, very nice tight fit, it straightens out and gives a phone nice slim profile. There is no doubt the case will stay on if dropped.

Headphone and micro-usb ports are covered, although I'm not too crazy about a little tab on the port cover, and also in my case I couldn't even close micro-usb port. I use my phone daily as GPS powered in the car, and usb port cover is just nuisance to constantly open/close. In this design, you can easily cut out port cover if you don't like it. I also thought mic port opening right next to micro-usb port was very small, and that could create an echo effect, but I couldn't confirm it yet since I haven't made any calls with this case one. The mic port next to headphone is a little bit wider, and I would have expected the same for the mic port at the bottom. No issues with s-pen and camera/led flash opening, also I wish there would have been a little more corner protection around lip next to s-pen. I really like the detail of dust filter mesh protecting speaker cover. That is very unique. Also, power/volume buttons are very responsive and you can feel the click - definitely a good design which I like. On the front, lip is a bit on a shallow side, but still gives a decent protection and should not be a problem when you put the phone down on the screen side. I also do have to mention that lip pulls quite easily around volume and micro-usb ports. There is also some pull of lip next to headphone, s-pen, and power button. Those are the areas where you have more elastic rubber material than PC support on the back. I don't believe it will compromise the protection offered by this case.

The case itself is offered in variety of different colors to suite both guys and girls. For my review I chose a blue one since I thought it will fit white phone the best and also offers better view of details on the back to contrast with black PC portion of it.

Ok, here comes the pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
    SquintS1, hanbalfrek, Frisco and 2 others like this.
  2. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to post this review!
  3. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

Does the back cover hinder the speaker volume at all?
  4. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Not at all, sounds loud and clear.
  5. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member

I have the red version of this, and I love it. Much slimmer than the Trident Kraken I had for my Droid X, but feels like just as much protection. I do have to take it off to use it in the dock, because I don't want to cut off the port cover, but I otherwise have no complaints.

No, wait, just one; it's hell putting it into a fleece pocket. It does catch a bit.