Tried deleting AOL email address to reinstallSupport

Last Updated:

1. dreno004

dreno004 New Member This Topic's Starter

I was having trouble seeing all my saved mail on my AOL email setup through the Mail App. I tried deleting my AOL Email address so I could reinstall it. I started the process to delete it but it lock up during the process. The phone wouldn't respond to anything so I had to turn it off. When I turned it back on the Mail App shows I have emails but when I tap on it, it comes up to a screen that says choose a mail provider. Choices are Exchange Activesync or Other (POP3/IMAP). I choose Other (POP/IMAP), entered email address & password. It came up to a warning screen (an account with the email address already exists. It doesn't allow me to complete the setup. It seems it deleted part of the email address setup but it still remembers the old setup. Is there anyway to totally delete this email address to start all over without resetting the phone?

Advertisement
  2. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

When something like that is messed up due to an incomplete process, you'll probably have to reset the phone.

3. abad girl

abad girl New Member

Just had the same problem. went to new acct, picked imap, entered my aol e-mail address, when it says already exist, name it AOL but with another name, ex. AOL xxx.
    This worked but took out another aol address I had. I just did the same procedure, again and just entered AOL for the second one. Finally both e-mails are now showing up. Hope this works for you

4. tbolt user

tbolt user New Member

(Most likely)

I was having issues with an email account (work email using POP) on my HTC Thunderbolt. I deleted the account but also got the error that the "email account already exists" when trying to re-add the account. Below was my fix that I believe will hopefully help others with the same issue WITHOUT resetting the entire phone. You need to trick your phone into thinking you're adding a different email address to get the setup going.

1. Assure that the account really is deleted by checking out your phone's Accounts & sync settings.

2. In the Accounts & sync settings, choose Add Account

3. Choose the type of account you want to add. In my case this was "Mail"

4. Choose your mail provider. In my case it was email provided by Rackspace, so I needed to choose "Other (POP3/IMAP).

5. In the Email Address entry form, put in a BOGUS email address. You just need to make it different than the one you're really trying to add. Don't worry, you'll be able to change this in the next page.

6. Enter the CORRECT password. Enter it correctly, so you won't have to re-type it later.

7. On the next page, you'll be able to re-do the email address and login info, so do that here and follow the remaining steps to set up the account how you would like.

The only caveat with this work-around is that you will not be able to modify settings again. Which means if you change your password for this account, you may need to repeat the steps to rectify the issue. This is fine if you have an IMAP or similar account, but bad if you have a POP account, as it will wipe any emails that are solely stored on the phone. In that case, you might be better off doing a full phone reset - though I believe you'll lose your only-on-phone-mail that way, too.

Note: This worked perfectly for me on my HTC Thundebolt running the latest Android update for this device. I did have an issue the first go round where I could not send mail through that account. But I may have typed the password incorrectly - so make sure to get everything right when setting up the account.

Hope this helps other with the poor account management in Android.