• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tried installing CM7. Can't get past splash screen

I noticed the other day that there was finally a stable release of CM7 for Droid 2, so I decided to give it a try.

My phone was already on 2.3.20 (because it would never upgrade properly), so I didn't have to downgrade. And I already had root.

I installed ClockwordMod Recovery by downloading the apk and installing it like normal.

I downloaded cm7 and gapps to the root of my sd card, and rebooted into ClockworkMod Recovery. It took me several tries to finally get there.

I backed up the current ROM, then wiped the data and cache, and then tried "Install from ZIP" with cm7, but it failed at the kernel check.

I tried to restore the backed up rom, but it kept failing at something called b2. It may have just been taking too long, but I let it sit for as long as possible until my phone just shut itself down.

I found some info online saying that cm7 might work with the current kernel anyway, I'd just have to modify the source and comment out the kernel check line. I did that and copied the new cm7 zip to the root of my sd card (through my computer this time, since my phone wouldn't boot). After finally getting back into ClockworkMod Recovery, I was able to, after wiping the data and cache again, install cm7. I then installed the gapps.

Then when I rebooted, it never got past the splash screen. I let it sit there for an entire hour, but nothing happened.

Now I've tried to get back into ClockworkMod Recovery to try it once more, but I can't even get there. I can get to the stock recovery screen, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to ClockworkMod Recovery again.

Any ideas at all?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones