Tried multiple HD movies ... incompatible

Last Updated:

1. A.VOID

A.VOID Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I've put a bunch of mkv BR rips on my Captivate and everyone is incompatible. What are people using? I've tried .mkv and .mp4 ... FAILED.

Only got an .avi SD to play so far

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

3. JxMxD

JxMxD New Member

Try downloading Handbrake, it's a free video converter. I've been using it and I have put Tropic Thunder, The Dark Night and the The Simpsons Movie on my Captivate and they all look spectacular on the phone.

HandBrake

It usually makes the movies a .M4V, but I don't know if they play on the phone so just change the file type to .MP4 and you should be fine.

4. DT

DT Well-Known Member

MKVs are compatible, but you have to remember it's just a container for video/audio streams (and subs, etc.), so the encoding on the actual stream makes a difference.

I haven't had a chance to plink around with videos much, but I report back in when I get a little time.

5. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

I've found that movies encoded with 5.1 sound will not play. Only stereo. And that kinda defeats the purpose of being able to play back high res movies. Who the heck is going to rip a high res movie with only a stereo track? Anyway, run it through handbrake and mix down to stereo. Should work then.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that you were talking about .mkv. Don't know about that as my files are .m4v/.mp4.

A.VOID likes this.
  6. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

I do know that 5.1 surround only works thru headphones. (At least with the music player.)

7. huskerkurt

huskerkurt Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to try some HD files on my phone and they work just fine. So far I've only tried a few mkv files and some Xvid avi files but they both have worked fine. The mkv files were 720p with 5.1 sound and they played fine (and looked great).

8. A.VOID

I kind of thought this might be the issue.
    I fully understand the wrappers and what "WRAPPERS" are supported. THese are all personal rips, and I know the video encoding.

9. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

Anyone have a link to a good HD movie to see how it looks?

Also why the heck couldn't we get Avatar pre loaded on ours.... like T-mobile did.

10. phillipbess

phillipbess Member

11. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

do you people realize putting an HD movie on the captivate is a waste of CPU cycles, waste of space and battery? The screen is only 480 lines - the exact resolution of a standard DVD. The phone would take your 1080p vid and downconvert it to show on 480 lines of screen resolution, wasting precious resources of the phone. Just rip your standard DVDs and enjoy the show, it may even look better on the phone as the 480 lines of SD DVD were picked/created at the pro studio.

12. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

Im "attempting" to DL Avatar from Handbrake onto my Captivate.. It says 2 hrs to encode @ 1500 bitrate.. Is this right?

13. beertha

beertha Active Member

HD videos with AC3 5.1 audio works fine. I think if you have DTS 5.1 then you wll not get any audio to work.

You should not have to convert your movies to work on this phone. Just keep in mind that when you download or copy a movie, keep it below 4 gb, have AC3, AAC-LC or MP3 audio. Avi, Mkv, Mp4, WMV containers works fine with H264/Xvid/DVIX/MPeg4 compression.
    I found that certain high bitrate videos wont work, which is understandable.
    For the most part, the same vids you play on your bigscreen TV should work fine as long as its not above 4gb and Dolby digital.

14. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

5.1 AC3 might work but 5.1 AAC-LC does not work for me. I can only get stereo AAC-LC to work.

On a side note, there's something weird going on with the aspect ratio. Even when I change the aspect ratio box on the Captivate's player (to where the arrows are pointing in) the video still looks a bit stretched in the vertical direction vs what I see on my computer's monitor.

15. A.VOID

I used Handbrake last night to convert to .mp4. It was an .mkv that I think had an mpeg H.264 Video encode (didn't look).

Good news >>> Got the encode and the video will play
    Bad news >>> Audio is warbled ...

I chose the settings based on the vda-developer's walkthrough. Stereo, 160kbps

16. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

To be honest, I do not know what you are talking about.
    I have not done this in a few years.
    I think the best thing would be to get a stanrdard DVD and rip that one at 480p. If you are downconverting yourself from the raw source, specifically for this phone, you may also play with cropping/letterboxing to have the picture fill eery pixel of 800x480 with the right aspect ratio.

And one more suggestion - the best view on a Cappy IMHO is a CARTOON! Cartoons by design have bright contrasting colors and simple shadows/gradients. I love how Ice Age movies look on the Cappy! Better than Avatar IMHO.

17. MrTony

MrTony Banned

I agree with that to some extent. I have Clash of the Titans on mine, which always brings the :eek: from people. But I also have Family Guy Smthg Smthg Smthg Dark Side & it looks awesome!

On a side note, I've had a few videos that wouldn't play in the stock video player. I just downloaded RockPlayer from the Market and they played just fine with it.

18. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

19. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

20. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

yeah links are dead.

21. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

has anyone tried video that have been converted over by videora. Majarity of my mp4 were converted by that software and i never had a problem.

22. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Sorry about that... but use the filenames and search around. I know for a fact that somewhere (probably here or XDA) there's another similar thread with alternative sources and actually more videos. Just search using the filenames there as leads and you should dig it up.