Tried rooting Evo using Unrevoked 3; Stuck in Fastboot Screen

Last Updated:

1. TheSunTheSea

TheSunTheSea Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a noob question but I tried rooting my Evo 4G this morning and have been stuck on the Fastboot screen (android skating boarding icons) for three hours now to no avail.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Went through the Unrevoked 3 steps on Mac OSX and was successful
    2) Put PC36IMG zip file in the root of my sd card
    2) Restarted my phone using POWER + Volume Down
    3) In this Fastboot screen, my phone recognized the img file and asked me to update. I pressed Volume UP for yes. Then it asked me to reboot, I said Yes again.

However, when the phone rebooted it just took me back to the Fastboot screen where my options are

BOOTLOADER
    REBOOT
    REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    POWER DOWN

If i press BOOTLOADER, it'll ask me to start the update and reboot like before, then I got right back to the Fastboot screen. If I say NO to both, then I have these options:

FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    CLEAR STORAGE
    SIMLOCK
    HBOOT USB

If I choose RECOVERY, my phone reboots and I'm taken to the Recover screen (ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1). If I choose "reboot system now", my phone reboots and the Fastboot screen is loaded.

I tried choosing "Install zip from sdcard" then looking for the pc36img.zip and confirming the install. Seems like it does something because i see a script running then i'm immediately back at the Recovery screen. From there I'm back to square one. Either I tell my phone to reboot or I can install the image again.

Basically I'm stuck back at the Fastboot screen with whatever I do. I've also tried taking out the battery and sdcard and putting it back it. When I press POWER, it goes to the Fastboot screen.

I also tried wiping data/factory reset as well as wiping dalvik, then rebooting. Doesn't work. I also tried going to RECOVERY -> nandroid and creating a backup, then restoring to it. Still doesn't work.

If I can get any help on this I'd greatly appreciate it. I really hope I haven't bricked my phone

Advertisement
  2. TheSunTheSea

Also, on the Fastboot screen it says

"SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF" and below that
    "HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC3610000)"

Does that mean it's already rooted?

3. TheSunTheSea

Since I've been stuck on this for 5 hours, can someone tell me how to unroot my phone and just go back to regular old HTC Sense? You don't realize how hard it is to go about doing things when your phone isn't functioning...

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Hmmmm, maybe using the RUU? Probably not though. I'm not sure how to get you back to stock, maybe search here or XDA for a guide on it.

5. TheSunTheSea

Sadly the RUU doesn't recognize when my phone's plugged in. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm stuck in Fastboot

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

There is a thread a few notches down asking about unrooting, try the link in there and see if that works for you.

7. m6284505

m6284505 Well-Known Member

8. jws

jws Member

was stuck similarly in the bootloader tonight. what i did was just plug my phone into the computer, and use command line adb to push cm6/radio/etc. onto the sdcard. then i go to recovery, flash the necessary zips, and rebooted successfully into cm6.

9. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Did you flash a Rom? Try flashing a different Rom and see if that fixes it.

10. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

this
    You can do the push from fastboot in the command line on your PC.

11. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle Well-Known Member

i found the solution. you need to download android 1.0 drivers (so your phone boot screen can talk to your pc). I was stuck there for like 2 hours and my pc told me that drivers need to be installed. I searched and found it. After you installed it, than youre good to go.

12. im lost

im lost New Member

where can you find the drivers? I have the same problem

13. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

14. RetiredFinally

RetiredFinally Well-Known Member

I have the fastboot screen also and installed the android 1.0 drivers to no avail, pc does not recognize the phone either in adb shell or unrevoked. Might have to go to sprint for a replacement.

15. MissJennell

MissJennell Well-Known Member

Unless you unroot it first they probably won't give you another phone. Rooting your phone voids your warranty.

16. RetiredFinally

RetiredFinally Well-Known Member

Unroot, I get nothing but the fastboot screen and it shows s-on hboot 2.10.0001.

Just tried an RUU but for some reason the pc is not recognizing the phone. Almost a brick!!:mad::confused:

All started with upgrading radios/wimax stuff per myn's newest rom. Would be happy with stock now!!