• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tried to convert to GPE, may have bricked my One M8 HELP!!

tman0118

Lurker
Sep 2, 2015
Hey guys,

I've been referred a few times to this site for help and I'm in dire need now.

So I bought the phone a few days ago and quickly went about unlocking it. SUCCESS!

I then went to root the phone (with CWM and SU) using this guide and CWM: http://htconeroot.com/htc-one-root/how-to-root-htc-ne-m8. SUCCESS!

Last step was to get GPE on the phone and I followed this guide: http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/convert-your-htc-one-m8-into-google-play-edition-0154471/

That's where things went awry. As I'm following its list of prerequisites, I also follow their guide to S-Off. Once I'm there, I go through all the steps only to find out that Firewater no longer exists. So I downloaded Sunshine, paid the $25USD (and it's an awful time to be spending in CAD might I add) and successfully S-Off'd the phone. Mind you, I installed, according to the guide, the Insert Coin ROM which in retrospect was probably unnecessary given I ended up using Sunshine.

At this point, I go back to the original guide to get GPE and I continue along with Step 2. I tried a few times trying to get the ROM on the phone but each time it failed. So I thought it had something to do with the file itself. I redownloaded the GPE ROM and in a moment of idiocy I deleted the Insert Coin ROM from the phone's memory. I proceeded to wipe and install from zip again but the install of the GPE ROM failed again.

So here I am, left with a phone that has it's memory wiped and a ROM on its internal memory that is incapable of being installed. I'm also at the white HTC boot screen with the red text at the bottom indicating that it's a "build for developmental purposes only..." It's been like this for an hour and I can't power down. (See attachment)

So here's what I've tried...

1) initial thought was to try and get the Insert Coin ROM back on the phone but my PC won't recognize the phone so I put it on an SD card in hopes that once my phone dies out, I can charge it and hopefully boot directly into recovery

2) i tried connecting the phone to my PC to use ADB to boot into recovery but as it wouldn't recognize the phone as an expanded storage, it wasn't likely going to recognize through ADB anyway

Thoughts guys? I just paid for this phone a few days ago and I can't stand the thought of bricking it days later =( Thanks in advance for your help though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones