• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tried to debrand, phone wont start (Radio V2 Fail-PU)

quasidead

Lurker
Feb 16, 2012
Hi!

I have a UK Orange Desire, that after messing around with, will not start up. It has been unlocked, so can use alternative sim-cards. I have made the SD in it into a goldcard, which I assume functions correctly. It is:

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.10.05.30

So I read somewhere that to Root using Unrevoked, I have to roll back my software from 2.2 to 2.1, I download 'Desire Downgrade' to do so, after considerable messing around it appears to be working in HBOOT, however when installing itself I get:

Partition update Fail!
This being due to number to Radio_V2 - Fail PU

All other aspects of the installation worked. However now my phone wont start up. It gets stuck on the HTC screen. I can access HBOOT. If I click on RECOVERY, it takes me to the black screen with phone and Red triangle.

Basically I dont know how to save my phone, or if I can. I figure its a radio issue, orange in particular I read, are troublesome in this respect. I have downloaded the appropriate RUU.

But what do I do now? Do I need to flash a new rom? Flash radio files? When connected to my pc, its kinda located but I cant see or access SD, and when using HTC sync, it doesnt detect phone, same goes for the RUU files.

Is it possible for me to access the SD? if so how? Should recovery mode go to that black screen?? With my phone hooked up to pc, can I not edit it somehow?

I seem to remember using some utility once to type dos like commands in to flash stuff, but for the life of me I cant work out how.

Sorry if this is garbled or too much or little info, im really stuck. If you can help, please do!!!!! Thanks for reading.

I think your buggered if it's a radio fail and ruu's aren't working. You could try your card in a card reader maybe? to access files. Think it's a warranty job though.

I figured it may have to be a card reader job. I cant use the RUU's through windows due to nothing picking up my phone when its plugged in. When plugged in through USB, its picked up in device manager, as an android device, and yet nothing seems to recognize it.

However when in fastboot its still says it connected via USB. So I figured theres a way of accessing the SD, or loading an RUU onto it manually, and doing it through command prompt? The warranty on this bitch has long since passed. Surely I can access the SD through some means when hooked up to my pc.

Upvote 0
So you tried to downgrade to 2.1 and all appeared to go well until you turned your phone back on?
Was anything interrupted in the process?

I tried to downgrade, which all succeeded except for the:

Partition update Fail!
Radio_V2 - Fail PU

Leading me to figure its a radio driver issue, especially bearing in mind its Orange. And consequently now it freezes at the HTC screen. I feel that I should do something via recovery or command prompt or something.

Upvote 0
The unfortunate thing is that you didn't need to downgrade to 2.1. We keep the guides in the root forum here up to date, so I would always recommend them as the first place to go to for this type of information.

The reason the RUU won't work is that you can't boot into android. But there's another way: boot the phone while pressing the "back" button. That will take you to the fastboot screen (looks similar to the bootloader, but different options). Connect via usb and you can run an RUU while in this mode.

I cannot guarantee success. If the radio was corrupted, rather than the RUU just deciding it couldn't complete, then the phone will need to go back to HTC - the user can't fix that.

What I'd suggest is forgetting about downgrading and trying to get the phone working again. The safest way is probably to download the HTC 2.3 update, either from HTC or from shipped-ROMs, and using that RUU instead. The reason I suggest this one is that we don't have an up-to-date Orange RUU, and debranding via a goldcard is not supported by HTC. So an Orange branded phone with a non-Orange ROM would technically be out of warranty (if they can tell - if it won't boot they may not). But this update is OK for any branding, so no warranty problems in using that. So if it works, you'll have a debranded phone running Gingerbread. If it doesn't, tell them the 2.3 update failed and the warranty should still be OK.

If it does work and you want to root you'll need to use revolutionary, as unrevoked can't root the 2.3 ROM. But there's a guide to that in the root forum too.

Incidentally, Desires come with a 2 year warranty from HTC (unless Orange have a special deal where they get less than anyone else?).

Upvote 0
The unfortunate thing is that you didn't need to downgrade to 2.1. We keep the guides in the root forum here up to date, so I would always recommend them as the first place to go to for this type of information.

The reason the RUU won't work is that you can't boot into android. But there's another way: boot the phone while pressing the "back" button. That will take you to the fastboot screen (looks similar to the bootloader, but different options). Connect via usb and you can run an RUU while in this mode.

I cannot guarantee success. If the radio was corrupted, rather than the RUU just deciding it couldn't complete, then the phone will need to go back to HTC - the user can't fix that.

What I'd suggest is forgetting about downgrading and trying to get the phone working again. The safest way is probably to download the HTC 2.3 update, either from HTC or from shipped-ROMs, and using that RUU instead. The reason I suggest this one is that we don't have an up-to-date Orange RUU, and debranding via a goldcard is not supported by HTC. So an Orange branded phone with a non-Orange ROM would technically be out of warranty (if they can tell - if it won't boot they may not). But this update is OK for any branding, so no warranty problems in using that. So if it works, you'll have a debranded phone running Gingerbread. If it doesn't, tell them the 2.3 update failed and the warranty should still be OK.

If it does work and you want to root you'll need to use revolutionary, as unrevoked can't root the 2.3 ROM. But there's a guide to that in the root forum too.

Incidentally, Desires come with a 2 year warranty from HTC (unless Orange have a special deal where they get less than anyone else?).

SUCCESS!!!!

You sir, are a scholar and a gent. Flashing to 2.3 as you said achieved literally eveything I wanted, debranded, rid of all the freebie orange nonsense, everything working perfectly. I cant thank you enough.

Mucho Gracias!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones