Trip to CancunGeneral

Last Updated:

1. dlike

dlike Member This Topic's Starter

Making a trip to Cancun soon and wondering how I can text and make calls without or little charge? The resort we are staying at has wifi. My thought was to turn off the mobile network and use Fring, Skype, GV but not sure which or if any of these will work. The Verizon girl told me Skype does not work calling back into the US. Really confused here with all the different apps available. Anyone been out of the US and successfully got anything to work?

Advertisement
  2. Spaz007

Spaz007 Active Member

Best to stick with email only when on WIFI. Everything I found to talk with on the phone still called out. I used Skype on a laptop and used WIFI. I didn't want to chance it. You will get a text from MexTel with pricing when you turn on your phone there.

3. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I believe that you if you check with verizon, they have an international plan that you can add for your trip. I think it's around $15 but if you plan to call a lot, it's worth it.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

There are instructions on how to disable radio. Really, all you can use is WiFi, so just call VZW and tell them you plan on using the phone simply for the WiFi and do not want to have any other service turned on. They'll tell you how you can foolproof your phone from connecting and getting charged.

I believe GV uses WiFi for texts, so you should be good there. Fring does the same for voice as well, I think too. That should have you covered.

5. dephyre

dephyre Member

Fring + GV/Gizmo sounds like your best bet. Tho sipdroid + GV gizmo seems a bit more reliable. Just use the GV mobile site to actually PLACE the call.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

6. smacky

smacky Banned

GV for calls will still get him charged. It doesn't use Wifi or data.

7. eriscentro

eriscentro Well-Known Member

GV calls are free if you use a free SIP, like gizmo5 (no longer open for registration)

8. smacky

smacky Banned

Ah ok, I'm not familiar with that. Good to know.

9. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Cancun was fun last year :)
    Can't wait to go again in July!!!