• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Tripod mount?

Why bother? Looking at these images they kind of suck compare to even the least expensive dslr. I suppose there is less bulk and you are more likely to always have your phone with you but if you are going to carry a tripod with you (even a table top tripod) why not go ahead and get a camera ? If you don't want the bulk of a dslr then even a pocket camera will be 10x better than a phone camera. So put those coins towards a tripod mount to a camera; will probably cover 1/2 the cost anyways :)

I would use a Tripod for the DX' panorama mode. Just wanted to add another use case scenario.

Upvote 0
I would use a Tripod for the DX' panorama mode. Just wanted to add another use case scenario.

I got a case that will do the same thing as those tripods. Here's what I don't get about smart phone tripods, smart phones are meant to be very portable, they fit easily into your pocket and don't require any additional "supplies" yet with these attachments your at least going to need a small bag to carry the tripod in, you might as well put a dedicated camera in there as well. I know guys have big pockets, but I don't think it would be practical to keep a whole mini tripod in there. I have to agree with previous posts, the Droid X camera isnt that great for photos, a tripod is for serious camera/video users and the Droid X camera isnt a "serious" camera.

Upvote 0
I got a case that will do the same thing as those tripods. Here's what I don't get about smart phone tripods, smart phones are meant to be very portable, they fit easily into your pocket and don't require any additional "supplies" yet with these attachments your at least going to need a small bag to carry the tripod in, you might as well put a dedicated camera in there as well. I know guys have big pockets, but I don't think it would be practical to keep a whole mini tripod in there. I have to agree with previous posts, the Droid X camera isnt that great for photos, a tripod is for serious camera/video users and the Droid X camera isnt a "serious" camera.

I hear what you're saying, but my digital camera can't wirelessly sync, socially share, text message or email the photos I take. I enjoy being out on a hike and showing my friends and family what I'm experiencing in real time. So while the picture may not be as good, I prefer using my phone and a portable tripod.

Upvote 0
I would just like to add my two cents on mobile phone camera quality and tripods.

Yea it seems weird to use a big tripod with your phone, but I do, and ill tell ya why. Its true, the phones today are right up there with point and shoots. I have a sony ericsson xperia x10 with an 8 megapixel camera. I don't know all the technica mumbo jumbo but I do a lot of experimenting and playing to get to know my gadgets. I've compared photos in all lighting conditions with the phone, a kodak, and an olympus. The phone most often does better! I can print out 8x10s that you'd never think came from a phone.

The phone needs to be held very still in low light, more so than a real camera. If you experiment, and use the right settings, a cell phone will give very good pictures. A tripod only helps. Don't let any of these photographers or whoever else say its dumb. If you enjoy it, and want to experiment with a tripod then do it. I do, for night or lowlight indoor shots. I have fun!

Upvote 0
I have an htc my touch 4g android - Was also looking for a tripod mount I could use. Just found this one on kickstarter and backed it. It should work with any android. Its called Capta and the video and presentation looks good and they use an htc like mine in the video. here is a link

Capta: Stick it, Lean it, Wrap it, Attach it. by Unique Design — Kickstarter

http://vimeo.com/30911159

captaemail2.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones