• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trojan:MobileOS/Tapsnake pop?

Recently when i was on Google and a pop message saying android virus Trojan:MobileOS/Tapsnake press okay to remove this threat. I pressed okay but every time i go on Google now this pop appears most of the time. I downloaded lookout, norton, and avast anti-viruses programs and they say my phone is clean from threats. What can i do to remove this pop up and is there really a virus on my phone?

Recently when i was on Google and a pop message saying android virus Trojan:MobileOS/Tapsnake press okay to remove this threat. I pressed okay but every time i go on Google now this pop appears most of the time. I downloaded lookout, norton, and avast anti-viruses programs and they say my phone is clean from threats. What can i do to remove this pop up and is there really a virus on my phone?
Hi Rambo Firstblood,
Welcome to Android Forums:)
Have never heard of your situation-lets try this if you have not yet:
Install App Below/Open/Run/Reboot your device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector&hl=en

Reactions: Rambo FirstBlood
Upvote 0
Ok, just throwing this in the wind? Reading & writing about the mobileOS/tapsnake.. I myself have also received this notification &

1.) I have not downloaded tapsnake
2.) I received a telephone call from a 415 #
3.) California? & Why is a foreign lady calling
ON MY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHONE! !!

Ok, im not so A+ on forums & didn't know anyone else to tell haha? But receiving a # from out of state calling me during the very moment mobileOS/tapsnake notification is popping up, eh that's a bit "scary" consider nobody has my telephone number while I imagine somehow this can be discussed? & some of the few last things I remember are: visiting evil.eu & viewing while downloading "mydoom virus" image in the gallery section so? Maybe someone could check into this? Call me crazy but this android/linux thing is possibly a lot bigger of a deal than some of us may come to realize.

Upvote 0
Maybe this lady was called by your phone (... or just called back).
Preloading the dialer is a "feature" of apps which using Airpush for advertising.

AirPush, on its web site, offers its customer this kind of push advertising:

What type of ad units are available?
The ad notification action can vary depending on the Campaign Type you choose within the advertiser portal. The current campaign types and associated post-click actions are as follows:

Airpush App: launches the Android Market app preloaded to a market URL you specify.
Mobile Site: launches the mobile browser preloaded to a URL you specify.
Click to Call: launches the phone's dialer preloaded with a phone number you specify.
Click to SMS: launches the phone's SMS composer with a phone number and body you specify.

http://m.airpush.com/advertisers

Upvote 0
Ah, thanks for the warm welcome @digital & oh I'm not entirely so positive considering malware does float around on the android market. As for the "scareware", "LoL" guess.. yesterday night, It was indeed a fright. However Airpush detector?! Usually I'm pretty well sandboxing my system its annoying but you're right, so viruses? Okay, but imminent they spread & my only guess is these are mainly "Joke Programs". Last month though, if I noted correctly located a "Downloader" on a the neighbors HTC. I forced him to cold boot lol. Malicious & advertising now? Between the two I compare which may be a problem in the future.

I use several combined methods ensuring linux & open source devices preventions from loss of data. "Botnets" are rising enough, a DDoS attack has happened to me. My fields revolve around a proxy server though, I'm into encryption. I don't use "Rogue Security Software".

Upvote 0
I too, was just on a goggle page and had the same tapsnake virus warning pop up. I have not installed any new apps on my phone or do I open emails I'm not familiar with. I was reading an email from everyday family and it had redirected me to their page. After I got to the third page of the article the tapsnake threat pop up requesting me to install a free spy ware app. I read these articles all the time and have never had this threat occur. I buy lots of things over my phone and worry since it is Christmas time someone is trying to break in to get my credit card numbers.

Upvote 0
I too, was just on a goggle page and had the same tapsnake virus warning pop up. I have not installed any new apps on my phone or do I open emails I'm not familiar with. I was reading an email from everyday family and it had redirected me to their page. After I got to the third page of the article the tapsnake threat pop up requesting me to install a free spy ware app. I read these articles all the time and have never had this threat occur. I buy lots of things over my phone and worry since it is Christmas time someone is trying to break in to get my credit card numbers.
The culprit app could also be a recently updated app that has this "feature" now.
Tried you Ad Network Detector by Lookout for finding the app that caused these warning pop ups?

If you don't install an antivirus app from these warning pop ups you don't need to worry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones