1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Weather App?

Last Updated:

1. dmchance

dmchance Member This Topic's Starter

I live on the MS Gulf Coast and am looking for a weather app dealing with tropical weather, hurricanes, etc... With the oil spill, and the increased tropical activity starting in the gulf, this is going to be a must have for many of us down here. It would be great if it would send out an alert when new advisories were released. Has anyone ran across an app that, or know a great website that does kinda the same thing?

Advertisement
  2. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

Weather bug and Weather Channel both provide alerts specific to your area, so I'm guessing you would be covered for tropical conditions too.

3. dmchance

dmchance Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response. I am familiar with the weather channel app. It covers the local area great, but I am kinda looking for one that would keep me advised of systems in the gulf that are not immediately threatening my area. I will give weather bug a try.

4. Jmtegra

Jmtegra Well-Known Member

I too would like an app like this.. Im in pensacola fl, on the gulcoast. Oils all over our beaches :(

5. shappy

shappy Well-Known Member

6. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

Have family in pensacola sorry to hear about the oil.

7. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

8. live4spd

live4spd Guest

I used to live in Ponte Vedra Beach, but I feel very bad for all the folks on the gulf coast side. It's an unfortunate accident that will have environmental impact for many years.

Hope things turn around soon.

9. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

Yeah, a good hurricane app would be nice to have.... A storm in jamaica is very important to me in Panama City (got our first tarball the other day) but wouldn't make the alerts on my local weather channel app.

NOAA website may be good too. I think what you may have to do is set up email alerts with your alerts popping up in your notifications... Maybe make a specific gmail account and set up the gmail alert for that account. Have it's notification sound specifically different from your other gmail/email accounts so you know. heck, record your voice saying "HURRICANE ALERT" or something.
    sort of an indirect way of achieving your goal I suppose. I work off of 3 gmail accounts as it is, I may set up that 4th and try it.

10. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

11. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

heck, on that site, you can enter your cell number in it for text messages