Trouble after rooting

Last Updated:

1. Ess-E915

Ess-E915 Member This Topic's Starter

After a lot of thought, I finally decided I would root my Moment.... even the whole bricking issue had me really worried. I decided to try it anyway.

I got it all done last night... well, I think I did. I never actually went into anything that verified that I had rooted it.... just assumed it was rooted after the instructions I was reading said it was.

Well.... within these instructions was a link to the SDX website where I could download a custom update zip, and had a link to create my own update zip, so I chose to create my own. I'm not sure if I made some wrong choices while creating the zip or what, but now I am having some major trouble.

After creating my zip, I placed it on my SD card. Then, I shut the phone down, and started it up in recovery mode (maybe that's what it's called.... volume down, talk, and end buttons). I went to apply from SD, or something like that, and then went to the custom zip I had just downloaded. The phone did it's thing, said it was installed and then said I need to reboot. I did.

I've not been able to get into my phone since. It gets to the Samsung splash screen, finishes it's animation, and then nothing. It's just black. It won't do anything at all until I take the battery out and put it back in. Then, I am able to get to any of the startup screens.... or whatever they're called, but no matter what, always goes black after Samsung Splash. It could be that the phone is actually starting, but just not showing me a screen....not sure about that.

Well, I read a little bit, and decided I would try to fix it by installing a different update zip, so I put my sd card into my laptop and removed the custom zip. Then, I put the SD card back into my phone and ran the joeykrim zip again. It's still doing the same thing.

Has anyone got any ideas for me here?? :confused: I am so sick that I decided to do this. I sure hope it's worth it in the end. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Advertisement
  2. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad install or maybe a corrupted download (which isn't going to install properly). No worries, this can easily resolved by reflashing with the sprint update tool back to either stock DE03 or DE03 with recovery. Depending on which instructions you followed to root you may already have the one that includes custom recovery.

DE03 with Recovery 3.0.8 - DE03 + Recovery 3.0.8

Ess-E915 likes this.
  3. Ess-E915

This is actually something I was going to try, but I thought I would need to go all the way back to the beginning.... like to start with the 2.1 update. I can just do the DE03 with recovery update... which is the last one I did before adding joeykrim to my sdcard... right?

Would you recommend I not try to download a new custom update zip then? Or, you think it was just bad luck and all should be okay now?

Thanks so much for your help!

4. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

I've used that online rom creator a dozen or more times without issue. You probably had a one off incident. Bad luck! Don't let it scare you off.

5. dntesinfrno

Agreed, once you flash the 2.1 with recovery i would just download a new update.zip and install it. Chances are it was a fluke.

6. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

i have NEVER ahd an issue with SDX kitchen. have loaded and reloaded ontop of each other with nary a problem. did OP not let it go to set the kernal and all the first time:

i had a few customs take upwards of 5 mins on a first time boot

7. dntesinfrno

This is a good point. Any time you install anything from recovery you should boot the phone back into android fully before installing anything else to let the changes take effect.

Point of interest : Anything you install that clears the dalvik cahce will cause the phone to take a long time to reboot as it rebuilds the cahce. Be patient and if it doesnt boot after 10 minutes or more there may be an issue.

When all else fails as long as you can boot to download mode (vol down. + camera + end) you just reflash 2.1 and start again.

8. Ess-E915

Thank you everyone for your help! I am able to get into my phone again....*big sigh of relief* However.... I tried to reflash the 2.1 update.... did everything again that I did leading up to the root basically. However, it seems as if I have somehow reverted back to 1.5. If I'm using the CL14 updater, shouldn't that be giving me the 2.1?? Not sure how I'm still getting 1.5. But, as I said.... just getting into the phone is great! Anyone have suggestions for my next step? Thought about maybe trying to flash the update from Sprint.....?? Don't really know.

Assuming I do get 2.1 again.... and I root..... and I download another update zip.... when would my phone stop responding? After the splash screen the way mine is? I waited about 5 minutes once, but not up to 10 I don't think. Once again, thank you all again for your help in this matter. I'm savvy enough to catch on to things pretty quickly.... but not enough to figure it out on my own. Sure appreciate ya'll.....

9. dntesinfrno

The CL14 updater IS 1.5, but its the one that doesnt require a patch to make work with the custom files. Sounds like you need to replace the file in C:\program files\samsung electronics\models\binary with the DE03 (2.1) .tar file. Only one file should be in this folder at a time. Once you get 2.1 on and install your .zip file the dalvik cache is rebuild during the boot animation...aka it will run a lot longer than it normally would before the soft key light up, the haptic feedback pulse, and finally the home screen/

Ess-E915 likes this.
  10. Ess-E915

Okay.... seems everything is working for me.... just one step at a time. I've got my 2.1 back.... however, I can't seem to get joeykrim to install correctly.

I downloaded the file and placed it in the root of my sd card.
    Booted the phone in recovery and went to apply zip from sd card
    Applied it
    Phone said it was intalled and reboot
    I did
    Went to connectbot, chose local, entered su....
    and nothing. Symbol does not change.

Completed this process twice.... even redownloading the file from a different site.

Am I missing a step??

Thank you all again. I realize I'm a bit of a pain, but I sure do appreciate the help. I'm really excited to get this thing rooted and play with all the fun stuff!

11. dntesinfrno

Sounds like you are trying to install joeykrims root v7. This is an antiquated method. I would HIGHLY reccomend you install one of the many custom kernels - Moment - Kernels, Kitchens and Roms - as they will include root access as well perform far better than the stock kernel.